Honored Contributor

Re: "Better Homes than Ours"

[ Edited ]

@stevieb 

I so agree.  I was a dedicated subscriber to Good Housekeeping, Family Circle, Newsweek, Martha Stewart Living, Country Living and a sprinkle of others from time to time.  I spent hours perusing them as well as clipping recipes and ideas.  Eventually, they started to shrink and seemed to be 90% advertising.  One by one I canceled them. I feel bad about it, but they've just declined in quality so much that they aren't worth the money and the environmental waste. 

I'm almost ashamed to admit how much joy I'd get when the new JCP catalogue would arrive and my kids would literally squeal with delight when the JCP Christmas catalogues showed up.

In NY, we'd get three newspapers daily.  Currently, the only newspaper I subscribe to is the Washington Post and that's the online version.  

Side note: Spell check thinks I'm spelling "catalogue" the old-fashioned way.  Well, ain't that just the icing on the cake?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I receive two newspapers daily and quite a few magazines and wouldn't change it.  I love to read and along with books of course these magazines and papers are welcome.  I also want to support these medias because I do not rely on computers for my news and try not to watch news shows.  These sources provide news and entertainment for me.

I have along the way received magazines which I didn't order.  I didn't have any problem stopping the delivery.  Customer service just canceled.  It was a quick phone call.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Magazines really are desperate to plump up their subscriber lists!  I got an offer I couldn't refuse for BHG plus Martha Stewart Living plus Redbook for two years for something like $5, then they added on some special editions and finally said I could gift a free subscription to anyone I wanted.  I also started to receive ESPN magazine, addressed to my son who hasn't lived with me for about 10 yrs. now and was never interested in sports of any kind.  I pass the ESPN issues on to my neighbor who appreciates getting it. 

I had to finally quit all magazines because I found I wasn't keeping up with reading them and felt stressed and wasteful when I threw them away unread. 

Anybody remember when HSN would give you a magazine subscription with their TS?  I'm so glad they stopped that!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

If you happen to have had any other magazine subscriptions over the last year or so where the magazine company has stopped publishing, often they will substitute another magazine for the remaining period of your subscription.

Esteemed Contributor

I received a years subscription for free as well. When I bought

a set of bed sheets, it had a postcard inside the package for

a year free. All I had to do was send it in with a code, maybe

someone wanted to treat you @house_cat. Enjoyed your post.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I thought there was such a magazine.

Honored Contributor

I never pay for magazine subscriptions! I belong to quite a few freebie websites and constantly get 2-year subscriptions to my favorite magazines. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I haven't had any subscriptions in years, so I don't think it's a replacement for anything.

I'm sure if it was some kind of mistake, I would have received a bill by now. It has been several months, maybe even a year.

I pass them on to the SpEd teachers in my school. They do lessons with their students that require them to cut things our of magazines, so they're always glad to get them.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

My mother started me on magazines when I was just a small child by buying me a subscription to the very vintage magazine called Jack and Jill.   That started me on a lifetime of magazine readership.  

I progressed from Tiger Beat to Ingenue to Glamour as I advanced into a more worldly lifestyle.  Lol!

For years I purchased all of the home magazines and enjoyed reading them from cover to cover.     It just seemed like each year every magazine got thinner and thinner and became chock full of ads.

I slowly let all of them expire but still continued with Martha Stewart's magazine.    A few months ago I cut the cord and ended my relationship with MS forever.   The magazine that I onced loved and looked forward to getting each month just became a thin little shadow of it's former self.    

I thought I would miss all of my magazines but I really haven't.  I'm saving money and I no longer have to keep a magazine rack in my livingroom.   

I still love reading but now I'm concentrating on reading all of my many books that were sort of pushed aside in favor of magazines.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl 

Thanks for those memories!  I fondly remember Jack and Jill magazine and Highlights!  My parents didn't have the money for that sort of thing.. I was always directed to the public library when I whined about it, lol. They had magazines, too, but the Hidden Pictures pages were always completed by some little brat who thought it was okay to ruin it for everyone else..... if you sense resentment, you are right, grrrr..... and I can still so clearly picture my Tiger Beat magazine with David Cassidy on the cover 💘

The only time I buy magazines these days is at the airport before a long flight. It's my little treat to myself.

~ house cat ~