Honored Contributor

"Better Homes than Ours"

[ Edited ]

Early last year, I randomly began receiving monthly issues of Better Homes and Gardens. It's close to a year that I've been receiving it.

I don't know what list I'm on that caused them to start sending it, but DH calls it "Better Homes than Ours", lol.

Over the years I've received complimentary copies of magazines, but never for this long.

Maybe they got wind of my plastic tablecloth?

When I start getting copies of Weight Watcher Magazine I'm going to start looking for hidden cameras 😫 !

IMG_9897.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: "Better Homes than Ours"

Both you and your hubby share a cute sense of humor, @house_cat !

Respected Contributor

Many years ago I started to get magazines from Sports Illustrated and another.  I didn't know why but I was worried I'd start getting billed for something I never ordered.  After many phone calls and tracking things down, I found out that a Foot Locker store I shopped at for my daughters shoes automatically put my on some kind of list.  I wasn't responsible for the first copy or two but if I didn't cancel, I would of been billed. 

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy This was not appropriate for Foot Locker to add you as a subscriber....glad you caught it in time.  I wonder what their incentive was for them taking this action and how many people ended up with a subscription/bill that they didn't generate.

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Many years ago I started to get magazines from Sports Illustrated and another.  I didn't know why but I was worried I'd start getting billed for something I never ordered.  After many phone calls and tracking things down, I found out that a Foot Locker store I shopped at for my daughters shoes automatically put my on some kind of list.  I wasn't responsible for the first copy or two but if I didn't cancel, I would of been billed. 

Honored Contributor

Magazines, like most printed media, newspappers included, are sort of desperate. They keep getting more and more slim and less and less meaningful as circulation falls and they strive to remain in business. Electronic media is putting them in a hard place, so many of them are dong their version of the 'hard sell'. Sometimes it involves tricky subscription practices.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL nothing wrong with your tablecloth. Do what you like.

Hopefully BH&G will not send you a bill.

I had a magazine place do that too me. I started receiving magazines out of the blue that I did not order. I told them to cancel it as I did not order nor was I paying for it. They kept sending & billing me. I had an attorney friend write a letter to send to them at no charge. That stopped it. This was years ago.

Honored Contributor

I love the title of your post!  OK, so periodically I get Entertainment Weekly magazine.

More than 1 year ago I subscribed to the magazine because my granddaughter was selling them through (I think) Girl Scouts or something.

I got them for the full year but decided not to renew it because it started getting very, very political.

They put in there huge (like 3 full pages) of 'get to know the people running' something lame like that.

I mean it's supposed to be about entertainment....It was more like the magazine posted here.  Like, meet the candidates at home, their family and bla bla....in MY entertainment magazine.

This magazine is supposed to be about movies and TV, popular and 'check this one out'.

I checked over and over and I'm not being charged.  

If I could pick a free magazine, it wouldn't be this one.  Too bad I can't pick what I want.

Honored Contributor

I started getting Better Homes too about a year or so ago and had a terrible time getting it stopped.  I never paid for it.  It just appeared.

And it had nothing in it I was interested in.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Your and hubby are hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!

And it's a sad state of affairs what is passed off as a magazine today. About 90% of them are just waste. And a really good one costs over $10 on the news stand now. Not for me!              

Honored Contributor

I love your title ! 😹

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan