Esteemed Contributor

Re: professional movers: my report

@scraphappy wrote:

We moved from California to Georgia last summer.  Our move cost $18,000...yes $18,000.  It was a small house, 1500 square feet and we did all the packing ourselves excpet for large items such as furniture, appliances, and some things in sheds.  We also decluttered (husband huge into collectibles) and many items worth a pretty penny so we did a POD unit.  In it was everything from his office (including collectibles) and my dining table and china hutch.  The POD cost an additional $5000.  It was my first big move with belongings.  I learned from it, what to do/what not to do.  The problem with packing many of your own things is how they wrote it for inventory.  They would just put a number sticker on it and write "large box or small box" on their inventory sheet even though I would write "dishes" or something.  They said they didn't pack it, so it had to be done this way.  I didn't opt for them to pack our things because I didn't think they would pack as well and take as much care as I would.  I did put things on their high value sheet, like my new washer and dryer, TV and art.  It took all day for them to load the truck, even with all the packing of just about everything else in the house.  One problem we had is the truck they bought to load us up was too small.  I told them it looked too small, they said no, no, no.  Sure enough, they had to call for another truck.  Movers started before 8a.m. and we didn't didn't done until close to 6 p.m.  The truck broke down traveling cross country.  Was never informed until I had called asking about a different question.  I was warned by the United agent that the truck driver would "urge" me to sign the inventory paper before all belongings were taken off truck.  She was right, he did but I refused.  But turns out that many of the number stickers that were put on the boxes in California for inventory fell off.  So, if I ever move again, I'd write the numbers on the box with marker myself.  I would also keep my own inventory list with more specifics as to what it is.  But, now I'm living in Georgia and myself and my family are much happier here.

I am one of those OCD organizational weirdos who could never let someone else do my packing.  

Granted, we made a short (very short) distance move last year. I cleaned everything and if appropriate wrapped in tissue before being put in a box. So that I had a handle on the contents of each box, I numbered each one. Then I had a clipboard with a list of each box number and a complete itemization of its contents. Because I cannot stand things in disarray, I had the movers put all boxes in the dining area and we could unpack as time/energy allowed.   

I used a local company and the movers were all young men who didn't slack for a moment.  While 1 was using a cart to move furniture the other 2 were like pack mules somehow toting boxes 5 high on their backs.  

How the physical move would play out was so stressful to me. As it turned out it was seamless.  The only damage that occurred was 1 broken glass and it was totally my fault for not packing correctly.  

Honored Contributor

In the end of it all what you pay movers depends upon the weight of the truck.We carefully assessed each and every item we moved before packing. Holding it in our hands and saying "Is this worth the cost to move it?". We also moved our own electronics - if they move electronics you really pay for that, as they have to guarantee they won't damage them, so we packed our TVs etc and moved them in our car. Since we owned a pickup truck and an SUV we did pack up and move quite a bit ourselves to keep the van cost lower.

Valued Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

We moved from California to Georgia last summer.  Our move cost $18,000...yes $18,000.  It was a small house, 1500 square feet and we did all the packing ourselves excpet for large items such as furniture, appliances, and some things in sheds.  We also decluttered (husband huge into collectibles) and many items worth a pretty penny so we did a POD unit.  In it was everything from his office (including collectibles) and my dining table and china hutch.  The POD cost an additional $5000.  It was my first big move with belongings.  I learned from it, what to do/what not to do.  The problem with packing many of your own things is how they wrote it for inventory.  They would just put a number sticker on it and write "large box or small box" on their inventory sheet even though I would write "dishes" or something.  They said they didn't pack it, so it had to be done this way.  I didn't opt for them to pack our things because I didn't think they would pack as well and take as much care as I would.  I did put things on their high value sheet, like my new washer and dryer, TV and art.  It took all day for them to load the truck, even with all the packing of just about everything else in the house.  One problem we had is the truck they bought to load us up was too small.  I told them it looked too small, they said no, no, no.  Sure enough, they had to call for another truck.  Movers started before 8a.m. and we didn't didn't done until close to 6 p.m.  The truck broke down traveling cross country.  Was never informed until I had called asking about a different question.  I was warned by the United agent that the truck driver would "urge" me to sign the inventory paper before all belongings were taken off truck.  She was right, he did but I refused.  But turns out that many of the number stickers that were put on the boxes in California for inventory fell off.  So, if I ever move again, I'd write the numbers on the box with marker myself.  I would also keep my own inventory list with more specifics as to what it is.  But, now I'm living in Georgia and myself and my family are much happier here.

We moved two years ago in-state (500 +mi.)  We packed everything ourselves (mostly me).  I color coded every box for what room it was to go in (i.e. bedroom 3 blue, bathroom orange, etc), also wrote a number on each box and coincided that number in a journel with contents written for every box and what room .  That way if a box became lost it would be easy to locate it or if I packed something and wanted to find it easily...just had to look in my journel ....

We used United Van Lines, and they were great.  I did not have any complaints.  

A few days before the move, the owner came and inventoried our items, put number stickers on each, gave us an estimate of the approx. cost (they charge by weight..they weighed the truck  before and after loading)..our move cost approx. $5500..there are many factors why it could cost more than the estimate, one is the price of fuel at the time, storage fees, if they had to drive a car, or move a boat, etc.....

Then on moving day, there were three men who came and loaded the truck within 3 hours.  I only had them pack the mattresses, some hanging clothes, and our china hutch..

There was a problem with our new home closing and we had to push back the mover by a few days, so they stored our things in the same truck at their facility for approx. 5 days...We drove both vehicles and my husband towed our boat/trailer..a few days ahead of time (we ended up staying with our son til the closing on the new home)...

The movers were pleasant and willing to help and moved everything exactly where we wanted ,

We were very pleased and the move went very well (except for the house closing situation)..would use them again if I ever plan to move again...

Honored Contributor

@granddi,     There is no way I would waive my right to an inventory.  Stealing goes on.  Even though I always did an inventory one of my Christmas storage boxes was stolen.   Each box had a number and letter for the room they were in.  Then I had a list with the box number and contents.   It is hard to find really good movers.  I had excellent movers once and the rest was so so and one nightmare.  I moved over 10 times so I have experience with movers and one move was across the country from IL to CA and back CA to IL.  Hopefully, none of your valuables were missing.  By valuables I mean family heirlooms, etc. and jewelry.  I always moved my jewelry by myself and important papers.  I hope you enjoy your new home.  Congratulations.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

We were a military family.

They worked through the lunch hour and we never bought them lunches.

You set up about them coming back to pick up any boxes. Don't ask the movers, this should be arranged prior to the move.

No tips. Like I said, this was at the last in the 80's and it was set up and arranged in proper channels. So in civilian life, you have to tend to all that.  

The part that torks me off on this, is the lack of work ethics of some people in today's world.  People use to knock themselves out to do a great job no matter what it was.  It was pride in the work you did.  Somewhere along the line, that's gone right out the window.  

It use to be: we/united, now at times it feels like: I/divided. 

Wish your experience would have been better, hopefully you'll never have to do that again.  

Honored Contributor

When we used Mayflower Movers every single piece had a sticker applied to it as it went into the truck and I stood at the door of the van and each piece that was loaded I had to write a description of the item beside the # on the sticker - ie:buffet, china cupboard etc. The boxes were numbered by me and the number written where the description would go.Then as they were unpacked off the truck in Fl. I stood in the garage and marked off on that inventory sheet each piece as it came off the truck.When they were done there were 2 pieces missing so they had to search among the stuff still on the truck for them.One was a bedframe and the other a box - both were located. Long distance movers move 2 to 3 houses at a time on those vans so they have to have a system to be sure they are getting the correct stuff at the correct house.

Respected Contributor

I wish I had asked yall for advice at the beginning of the process.

I like the comment to ask yourself "would you pay to ship this to yourself" Don't think that you are being charged $XX for this truck so just take it with you. Remember that the price quoted is an estimate and that the truck will be weighed and price adjusted up or down according to weight. 

In my rant, I did not even say that the loaders scratched my wood floors. As I said I was very disappointed that professional movers did not have sliders, etc. Anyway the owner was there and immediatedly said he would pay for repairs. We said not to just hide the scratches but to replace damaged wood.

Good luck to all planning a move. 

Respected Contributor

Moving is a nightmare to begin with and hiring a moving company is more stressful than that. A family member just moved 400 miles and cost $6,000 for a 3,500 sq ft house. 

When we moved years ago we hired local guys and got a U-Haul and I packed all the boxes myself and I rented a lot of furniture blankets and we did this all in one day. They unpacked it all in 5 hours and I bought them dinner. I dropped them off at the mega bus and paid for their tickets back that night and gave them all huge tips. Best thing I ever did. 

Honored Contributor

Mayflower is just the van line.  You are dealing with an independent company/franchise.

I used to manage the company relocation program and we used Atlas Van Lines but you are working with independent companies across the country.  Some were great, some were so bad there are no words to describe the horrors some employees endured.

One employee and his son had to help load the truck as the van line sent one guy to load a house with a family of 6.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

For $11, 000 I would sale most of my large items and buy new. I am not talking about family heirlooms and such. I would rent a smaller uhaul truck and move it myself. Fly back to get my car.