Respected Contributor

planning on taking like 6 pillows to laundrmat for the first time. has anyone else done this?

Honored Contributor

Just make sure they're washable.  Not all pillows are.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor
If they are machine washable, save some money and wash them in their large, giant washing machines, then dry. They will get awesomely clean and wear their washing machine and not yours. PIllows can throw a washer out of balance. The large machines at the laundry are front loaders and meant for heavier and larger things. I'd take some quilts or comforters if you go to kill two birds with one stone. The time to wash and dry will be the same.
Honored Contributor

I wash my pillows at home in my own washer. I always wash two at a time to keep the balance. My washer drum is an oversize so washing is a snap.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I wash My Pillows at home and two at a time.

Respected Contributor

Another vote here for washing at home, two at a time. I do have to put them through several drying cycles though.

Respected Contributor

i have 2 pillows that are not washable but other are washable. 2 pillows are sealy  posterpetic and there are for a king size bed so there big so thats why i want t take them to laundrmat.if they were all standard size i would wash them home.i figure those really big pillows will take forever to dry. when i did them in thr he washer they took forever to dry so i can just imagin how long they would take to dry washed in regular.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have taken many pillows, a big pillow-type doggie bed and also some huge comforters to the laundromat. Some of that stuff will fit in my washer/dryer but I will be here all week washing that stuff if I go that route. Using the laundromat saves a lot of time! their washers/dryers are HUGE so it doesn't take that long. I like to use those BIG BOY washers...huge and fast.

Honored Contributor

Call me crazy, but I always do a *dummy* load, first.  I keep a full size blanket that even though it's clean, I wash it in the washer first with a cup or more of Clorox in hot hot water. 

That way, when my (king size) comforter goes in, I know the washer is clean.  

I've seen people pulling out huge dog beds or shoving in trashbags jammed full of filthy jeans, etc., into these washers.

The last thing I would want to do is wash my bedding after someone has washed their bathroom contour rugs for the first time in years!

I'll only buy machine wash comforters, and there are many good brands that still make them.  But I loathe using the laundymat to wash them.  I do take them home and hang them out to dry.