Honored Contributor

I just met with the electrician about new lighting in our house, that got smashed by a tree-----getting ALL recessed LED cans and will have no more lights globes hanging down from the ceiling!!! So excited, as my house is 33 years old and had those horrendous  white glass balls that have the screws around the lip of them-----and you had to unscrew them to change out the light bulbs....... now there will be clean, flat lighting-----EVERYWHERE!! got ceiling fans in each of the 3 bedrooms too. and tons of outlets and dimmers and switches too----am in heaven!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: picking out new lighting

@wagirl wrote:

I just met with the electrician about new lighting in our house, that got smashed by a tree-----getting ALL recessed LED cans and will have no more lights globes hanging down from the ceiling!!! So excited, as my house is 33 years old and had those horrendous  white glass balls that have the screws around the lip of them-----and you had to unscrew them to change out the light bulbs....... now there will be clean, flat lighting-----EVERYWHERE!! got ceiling fans in each of the 3 bedrooms too. and tons of outlets and dimmers and switches too----am in heaven!!!!

We changed out our hallway (upstairs and downstairs) to LED's last year.  We really like how clean and updated they look. I'm planning on painting the interios of my house on the main floor and will change out 5 more older recessed lights to the LED's.  I can't wait till it's done.  It makes such a difference.  We did about 10 lights last year and it cost about $1100 (for the lights and install).

Honored Contributor

What a huge difference that will be!

I love dimmer switches.  I put them on almost every light switch in the house.  I love them in the bathroom especially.  I hate turning on a bright light in the middle of the night.

Respected Contributor

I just moved into a 30 year old condo and going through lighting frustration!  There are no "can" lights in the living room and I've been used to that.  Now I have to figure out what kind of lamps I want, where to put them and what type of bulbs to put in them. 

Bulbs!  The former owners used those squiggly bulbs in everything, including the dining room chandelier - they looked ridiculous!  I have made several trips to the store trying out different bulbs throughout.  Some are too bright, some too harsh, some too yellow, too white, who knew finding the right light bulb could be so challenging!!!

Honored Contributor

Last week I had LED lights put in my kitchen.  What a difference!  My old florescent lights are are gone because the cover was becoming loose.  So glad I made the change.  Kitchen looks more modern, plus the lighting is so much better.  Also, now I do not have to ask someone or hire someone to change the tubes when they go out.

Honored Contributor

I put canned lights in my kitchen last year right before I painted the entire house.  They made a huge difference in my kitchen.  I'm so glad I did it.  I just wish I had put more in other parts of the house.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

Last week I had LED lights put in my kitchen.  What a difference!  My old florescent lights are are gone because the cover was becoming loose.  So glad I made the change.  Kitchen looks more modern, plus the lighting is so much better.  Also, now I do not have to ask someone or hire someone to change the tubes when they go out.

Last year, 2 of my 3 fluorescent lights under my kitchen cabinets went out at the same time. I went to Lowes and purchased 2 more fluorescent light bulbs. Those bulbs didn't work so I figured the fluorescent holders gave out. I hired a handyman and he went to Lowes and bought 3 new fluorescent fixtures with the LED lightsl. Voila!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat  you are so right.  Picking out the right light bulb is so difficult! We have purchased and had to return for the reasons you mentioned.