Trusted Contributor

Re: one piece tub/shower combo surround-???

In 2010 I had my 1973 bathroom gutted and remodeled. Instead of another tiled tub/shower, I had a Sterling tub/shower combo installed because I wanted easy maintenance. It's four pieces, the tub and three walls. No caulk or grout. I love it and don't regret my choice.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny ...your set up sounds like mine....we have an appointment for a 'refinisher' to quote refinishing the tub/shower surround.  He also does countertops, which I don't need done. Obviously I don't know where you live but you might look up bath restoration and get a quote.

Honored Contributor

I don't care for them.  In the long run I think you'll be happier with the quality and creative effects you an achieve with tile or stone or whatever material you choose.

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl ,

This is a no from me. Much prefer the real deal (porcelain tile and iron tub). I think those 1 piece refits would not age well and would be a slipping hazard in time.

dee

@wagirl wrote:

My contractor is suggesting this type of thing for my main bathroom. Not sure I want it as to me, it looks kind of cheap; but can see where the upkeep would be easy and the leaking issues minimal. Not talking from Bathfitter as they are really pricey; $3500 for my brothers bathroom----any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

edited to add:

We are going to redo the master bath...very small foot print.  That shower is a 1 piece, fiberglass/house built in the 70's/that shower will be taken out and replaced with larger tiles, and a new shower door.  Pricy but worth it in the long run.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Allegheny ...your set up sounds like mine....we have an appointment for a 'refinisher' to quote refinishing the tub/shower surround.  He also does countertops, which I don't need done. Obviously I don't know where you live but you might look up bath restoration and get a quote.

@Mom2Dogs 

(I live in PA).  Mine is a one piece and was installed when the house was built.  That is the only way they would have been able to get it in.  If we had to remove it as @RedTop said it would have to be cut into several pieces.

Luckily even back in my younger days I was a blah neutral person.  Perhaps I learned a lesson from my mother's (bless her heart) decor habits of selecting the trendy colors.

My only concern about refinishing is whether it will hold up as well as the original.  I would rather live with something not so pristine, then do a resurfacing and have problems later.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs New bathroom.  Well good for you!  When I was replying to your previous post, I was thinking the same for us.  I don't know why I hesitate in putting a new bathroom in when I did it with my kitchen.  

Our only issue is installation would have to go like clockwork as we only have one bathroom.

However we will have to sit on this a while as we are first going to have new windows installed.  

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny ....husband gets the NEW shower...mine will just be refurbished...and yes..there is always something that needs 'done' around the house..new windows will be nice!