Honored Contributor

one piece tub/shower combo surround-???

My contractor is suggesting this type of thing for my main bathroom. Not sure I want it as to me, it looks kind of cheap; but can see where the upkeep would be easy and the leaking issues minimal. Not talking from Bathfitter as they are really pricey; $3500 for my brothers bathroom----any thoughts?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: one piece tub/shower combo surround-???

I have a 3 piece tub/shower surround in my hall bathroom. It's probably 20 years old. It has a crack and some yellowing that I can't get off. It was supposed to be easy care. If I can ever re-do that bathroom it would be large white tile.

Maybe it's made out of better stuff now.

Esteemed Contributor

Not having leaks in the future is worth it's weight in gold.  That's what we went for when original tub cracked in the tub floor. 

(caulking the seams looks pretty cheap after several applications to avoid a leak)

Honored Contributor

@wagirl 

I tend to agree with you on the look.  We had one in our previous home.  When we built this new home, I insisted on beautiful tile showers with borders and modern glass doors.  Boy did we pay for it!

We are adding a bathroom in our basement.  After reviewing the cost of tile and glass doors....I opted for the one piece.

We shopped til we found one that didn't look cheap as you said....and had a nice quality and thickness to it.  I couldn't justify the cost for the basement.  They are so easy to clean as you said.  I got a really snazzy, modern design shower curtain and am pleased.

However, having babbled all that?  If it were my main bath, I would not want it!

Good luck in your decision.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

My contractor is suggesting this type of thing for my main bathroom. Not sure I want it as to me, it looks kind of cheap; but can see where the upkeep would be easy and the leaking issues minimal. Not talking from Bathfitter as they are really pricey; $3500 for my brothers bathroom----any thoughts?

It does look cheap and it doesn't age well.  I wouldn't do this shortcut.

Esteemed Contributor

We put this in our one bathroom and it's just okay IMO. I would not put it in a master bath because I don't believe that it would look nice for very long and become a cleaning nightmare. I know the one we have in my husbands bathroom is a "bear" to clean. I do it at least once a week. Depending on the materials used in the product it can stain, yellow and become dull in areas. It also can become slippery depending on your soap/shower gel that is used. I would not recommend this option.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine has a lovely home.  Very nicely furnished.  However, the shower/tub combo in their guest bathroom is the one-piece surround.  Compared to the rest of their home, this bathroom looks cheap..almost out of place.

Honored Contributor

We have been investigating tub/shower surrounds as well....our home is 40 years old and in my bathroom there is a shower surround and a tub, I think it is three piece/and is fiberglass.  

We were told that the newer version of what we have is not nearly as well made as the original version..of course!!

We will probably go with tile for the shower and either a fiberglass tub or a castiron (think this is the product, he indicated it was much heavier).  

Respected Contributor

We had this in our first home in both bathrooms, and now we have it in our guest bathroom.  Our shower is marble.  The one in our guest room is one piece fiberglass (our home is 22yrs old)  The guest shower rarely gets used, and I HATE IT!!!  Sure, no leaks, but it is yellowing (it was never really white) and it does not shine when it is clean.  I would go more of a tile or marble route if I had it to do again.  JMO.  Good Luck and keep us posted!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

I'd spend the money elsewhere and choose an economical option, as I don't care about a spa-like shower, nor whether it looks high end or not.  Function in a bathroom is the important thing to me.  I "pretty it up" with towels and such.

Cogito ergo sum