Respected Contributor

Re: news article about saving on HOT water cost.

Well, at least the posters here are smart enough to recognize the idiocy of those news pieces. So many people aren't.

Throughout my life I've wondered why so many people need to be led around by their nose & can't think for themselves. I remember as a child when a newscaster would talk about snow that was headed our way. They'd tell the viewers to have food in the house & to dress warm. If you're an adult, & you need a newscaster to explain that to you, then I don't even know what to say. Well, I do, but I won't say it here.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

It's my understanding, that the DW is designed to employ some friction to clean.  If everything is rinsed, the machine may fail sooner, as it is not running as it is designed to do.

I wipe greasy things, as we have a pressure sewer and I diligently avoid grease down the drain (not a bad idea, anyway), but I let the DW do the job.  Of course, I don't let it sit for days either.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I don't rinse my dishes at all before I put them in the dishwasher.  Like that little girl in the commercial says "if you are going to wash the dishes first, why put them in the dishwasher?"  Perhaps back in the olden days, pre-rinsing was necessary but now now.  The dishwasher and the detergent get them clean.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't rinse my dishes at all before I put them in the dishwasher.  Like that little girl in the commercial says "if you are going to wash the dishes first, why put them in the dishwasher?"  Perhaps back in the olden days, pre-rinsing was necessary but now now.  The dishwasher and the detergent get them clean.  

@chrystaltree.  Same with me. I scrape food scraps into trash and put everything in the dishwasher. No rinsing. Never had a problem.