Honored Contributor

need advice: using sand texture in my paint

We have been doing a small update to my DH's bathroom....I am ready to re paint the walls, which need a little help, so I am using Homax Paint Texture-the texture is sand. 

I have never used the product, it is applied with a roller, (after adding the proper amount to the paint).  Has anyone had experience with this product? If so any advice is appreciated! 

I will have to use a brush to get up close to the ceiing and other things in the room but otherwise it is applied with a roller.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: need advice: using sand texture in my paint

I used it many years ago.  If I remember correctly, I needed a heavy-duty loopy kind of roller.  What I do remember clearly is that removal later required sanding.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

hmmm.....we had a workman repair a spot on the wall where a large medicine chest previously hung,  and he used the sand texture it looked very nice.  It was just a bit heavier that what was on the wall so I want to make all the walls match and thought I would use the same product he did.....ugh, my plan is not to have to sand he walls......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

We have been doing a small update to my DH's bathroom....I am ready to re paint the walls, which need a little help, so I am using Homax Paint Texture-the texture is sand. 

I have never used the product, it is applied with a roller, (after adding the proper amount to the paint).  Has anyone had experience with this product? If so any advice is appreciated! 

I will have to use a brush to get up close to the ceiing and other things in the room but otherwise it is applied with a roller.

Thanks.

Personally, if it was my DH bathroom, he would be doing all the work as well as picking out whatever color he wants. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I used it several years ago, and it I didn't think it made that big difference.

Respected Contributor

How easy is this paint to clean?  

Is it easy to wipe down?

Honored Contributor

Paint is washable, should not be any issue about cleaning.

And their is a big difference between the wall texture I have now and what it will be if I do the job properly.

Valued Contributor

I am not a fan of the sand textured painted walls.  When we were kids my mother painted the walls in our bedroom with the sand paint to cover old plaster walls and figured we'd "keep our hands off the walls" ........ well we sure did!!  I spent half my teen years with bloody knuckles from rolling over in the night and my hand scraping the wall LOL

I tried using it on our basement stairs to make them slip resistant and all I ended up doing was snagging up all my socks.  I never found a way to get rid of it either when I no longer wanted the textured surface other than to carpet over the top.  I don't know how you'd ever get rid of it on walls.

Honored Contributor

Oh boy hasn't this sand fad passed? We did a sand ceiling in our old basement back in 1990!! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@In-x-s wrote:

I am not a fan of the sand textured painted walls.  When we were kids my mother painted the walls in our bedroom with the sand paint to cover old plaster walls and figured we'd "keep our hands off the walls" ........ well we sure did!!  I spent half my teen years with bloody knuckles from rolling over in the night and my hand scraping the wall LOL

I tried using it on our basement stairs to make them slip resistant and all I ended up doing was snagging up all my socks.  I never found a way to get rid of it either when I no longer wanted the textured surface other than to carpet over the top.  I don't know how you'd ever get rid of it on walls.

Add me to the "Never again!" category. We did one room with the sand texture and getting rid of it was nearly impossible. It's far, far better to spend some time tweaking the patched area to make it match the rest of the wall than to have to get rid of the sand texture later.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!