Frequent Contributor

Re: need advice about where to get plantation shutters

I read your request for info on purchasing plantation shutters. I have the 4" slats in my shutters. I purchased mine through my builder when my house was built. However they are available through many retailers. I know the major hardware store chains offer custom shutters. They are expensive, but will be insulate your home from hot/cold weather.  I did my entire house for 8K. Money well spent. They are easy to keep clean too. I recommend purchasing the widest slats available. They do block some of the outside natural light. Some people find that bothersome. The narrow slats are very prone to blocking the light. 

Details to consider:

Color choice (there are many white choices)

Wood is more durable than faux finishes

Good luck. Happy shopping

Contributor

Thank you all for your input as I have a lot to consider with all your great suggestions! I would rather wait a few years to get what I want rather than replacing what I have now which are vertical blinds in the living room and my 3 bedrooms with something I will not be satisfied with. I hate debt and will wait until I have saved most of it and maybe finance a small part of it. I just needed to know how much, but I think it will be around 3-5 thousand probably. Thanks again all!

Respected Contributor

I had my plantation shutters installed on all the windows & both of my patio sliders a couple of months after I moved into my home in 2006.  They were made by O'Hair in TX, after the local dealer came & measured & I told him what I wanted.  They send the order with all the info off to O'Hair & they build & paint them in the chosen color & they're shipped back & installed by the local company a few weeks later.  They have a lifetime guarantee, but 10 years later, they still look gorgeous & I've never had any problems with any of them.  You might go to O'Hair's website & see if there's a local dealer in your area that you could work with.  They weren't cheap, but I think they were one of my best investments & also my power bills are lower (I'm in the SW & it was 111° today)

Esteemed Contributor

I have plantation shutters on all sides of my home except for my living room Windows which overlook the lake.  I absolutely love them.  I installed them when we built our home eleven years ago and they look as good as they did on the first day.  Wonderful way to control light from a little to a lot.  I would not install them as extensively as I did unless I knew I was staying long term.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I disagree that wood is the most durable - the composite ones are I was told by the salesperson plus they never need to be painted - they are the same all the way through. The wood ones are either painted or stained and sooner or later will need to be again.

I wanted large slats as they are much more modern looking but some of our smaller windows I did not like how the 5" looked so I went with the 4". Our salesperson brought a lot of samples so we were able to see about everything that was available at the time.

You also have to pick what you want as far as open from the side or the middle (I picked from the side like a door) and do you want them to be separate top and bottom or all one - I picked separate top and bottom so we can close the bottom half for privacy but keep the top open for light and air. So those are all the things you need to look at and decide. 

Respected Contributor

See if there's a Sunburst Shutters in your area.  They're the original, I think.  Not cheap by any means but they have an excellent warranty and service.  I live in Florida and had Sunburst do the windows in my last home and never had a single problem.  I just moved into a new home with many more windows and could not afford to do Sunburst throughout so I found IWS (again, I'm in FL).  Their pricing was lower so I was able to do my entire house.  I went with a wider shutter with no rail so visibility is optimal.  I absolutely love shutters.  See what companies are in your area and comparison shop.  They all come to your house with samples.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@151949

Yikes! I just read your post about tax accessor stating" value of your home goes up" hmmm I don't mind for resale purposes BUT tax purposes strange.

I  am having all new code regulated Windows ($$$$$$ thanks FL codes) installed next week with plantation shutters on the front windows.

Ill be interested to see if my tax increase because of them considering I took out permit for Windows and they have to come and inspect. I'm going to ask them about the shutters.

Thanks for the heads-up they do have some strange rules in FL.

Honored Contributor

I don't think shutters make a significant enough increase in home value to increase property taxes noticeably. I just thought it was interesting that he said that.

Esteemed Contributor

Not cheap by any means but Next Day Blinds did mine and they did a very good job.  They have a web site and you can enter your dimensions and price them out.  Price will differ depending on whether you get real,wood,or vinyl.  I,got the vinyl because they are easy to clean with a damp microfiber cloth and the vinyl does not warp in direct sun.