Respected Contributor

i'm looking for some longer lasting potpourri. what i have seems to lose it's smell after only a few days. is the refresher oil, worth buying?  i just like the looks of potpourri, instead of the electric air fresheners. thanks for any ideas.

Honored Contributor

Re: long lasting potpourri ?

[ Edited ]

Make your own. Use a fixative to retain the fragrance. The info at this link should help. If you don't want to click on the link search potpourri fixative to find info on using it or not. Also about Essential Oils being volatile & evaporating pretty quick so they suggest using fragrance oils.

If you make your own you can add back in more fixative for the fragrance as you need it instead of buying more potpourri.

http://driedflowercraft.co.uk/2013/07/you-dont-need-orris-root-powder-make-potpourri/

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cannot tolerate heavy scents so I like very subtle fragrancing.  For instance, I don't burn candles, but I will put them in a warm place like a window sill and let them naturally release their scent.  I've been using Agraria Bitter Orange Potpourri for years.  I keep it in an enclosed potpourri holder so it doesn't get dusty quickly.  I use a few drops of the refresher oil whenever I notice that thers's no longer any whiff of scent when I pass the holder, probably every six months or so.  This potpourri will not fragrance your whole house when placed in one location.  

Have you considered diffusers?  Those provide a little more scent throw and the scent lasts as long as the liquid does.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to buy a lot of potpourri AND the fragrance extenders, but just gave up on them. No matter what I did, they lost scent after a few weeks.  Even very expensive mixes were scentless in no time.  You could only smell them if you put your face in the dish Woman LOL

I've switched to reed diffusers now.  Even those need turning of the reeds quite often.  Neither one has full house throw, especially if you have larger rooms or a two level home.

Candles were a favorite for me, but then the sooting (even with shades) became a concern.  Finally, I now burn them INSIDE my fireplaces and they really throw an impressive amount of fragrance without being too strong.  This way, if they soot up, it just goes up the chimney, not on my walls.

Funny storry on potpourri.  One Christmas I had a huge crystal bowl of potpourri on an out-of-the-way table, and one of my guests thought it was a snack mix!  Yikes!

Esteemed Contributor

I used to make my own but my allergies got too bad. When I did, I would refresh it by using a drop or two of essential oil.  This way you can choose what scents you prefer. The essestials oils are strong but do have a long shelf life.