Respected Contributor

Re: in the market for granite counter tops?

I've had granite for 15 years and love it.  It is SO EASY to keep clean and care for.  I laugh when people say it's high maintenance.   It's NOT.   Pick your slab(s )! They are all different and there are so many gorgeous options.  We just gutted our kitchen Oct 2014 and replaced our old granite with new only because of a new configuration.  We shopped for weeks to different places and when we found our slabs we were thrilled.  Highly recommend.  Even used the same granite as a backsplash in part of the kitchen.  

Valued Contributor

i have family who is in the granite business!  You should always pick your own granite slabs so you can see where the veining is and how you want it place on your counter.

Beckyblu

Respected Contributor

When we did our kitchen over about 3 years ago we went with quartz. I love it. No maintenance involved and had a huge selection of colors/patterns to choose from. It was also much cheaper than granite. One of my better decisions I made in renovating our kitchen. Still looks brand new.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the past couple years I have replaced a lot with granite in my homes. Whenever we picked a slab, we had to go to the warehouse, they pulled our specific slab and we had to "map out" what part of the slab we wanted for what area in my kitchens. We never just went willy nilly and let them do it. But I'm a pretty natural gal and love the veins and imperfections. Quartz is man made. If you want a quartz countertop in your kitchen and then want the same in your bathroom 10 years later, you can get the exact same because it is man made.

And for "sealing" your granite.....why everyone makes such an issue about this is beyond me! You all wipe your countertops once in a while, don't you? You wipe up spills, right? Sealing is just like wiping your counters! Nothing special to do, just like waxing and then wiping with a soft cloth. To be done once a year. I just can't imagine why so many complain that this is such an inconvenience! I just don't get it.

"Pure Michigan"
Occasional Contributor

I have had granite for about l0 years in Black Uba Tuba and still like it.  I am curious in hearing what products you use for every day cleaning and polishing, etc.  I have been using Weiman's granite cleaner and have used Rock Doctor Polish.  Just wondering if there is something better to try.  I enjoy reading these forums and learning so much from all of you. Thanks!

Valued Contributor

I love my granite countertops.  I've had them in two houses.  There really is not a lot of care and the new sealers don't have to be done every year any more.  The quartz industry is trying to scare people away from grantite.  I had my granite for about five years adn it looked just the same as the day it was installed.  Never had to reseal it.  I now am in a different house with granite and I love it too.  I considered quartz however after I did the research, there are still problems with it too.  If you research you will find that it can chip or crack and a friend had the same problem....bad veining that when it was cut it did not match up and looked terrible...Cambria would not stand behind because it was the installer.  I've always picked out my slabs in the warehouse.  I would never buy granite from a sample piece.

Respected Contributor

I sealed my granite this morning.  LOL

I've never done it before, so I thought I better after reading this thread. 

I don't really baby my granite, but I never put a hot pot directly on it.  I always dry my counters. 

Respected Contributor

@Junker2327 wrote:

i have family who is in the granite business!  You should always pick your own granite slabs so you can see where the veining is and how you want it place on your counter.

Beckyblu

This is what I wanted to share. Be sure to see YOUR slab and not just a sample piece. 

Respected Contributor

I'm chiming in a little late...but was away from my computer for a few days..

We re-did the kitchen in 2013...and I wouldn't trade my granite countertops for anything! We have Uba Tuba (very uniform pattern and dark colors) on the island. I wanted something lighter for the main counters, though, and went with Typhoon Bordeaux. It has splats and veins and splashes everwhere, along with some sparkle here and there...and is exactly what I wanted.

I chose it from about an 8-inch surround on a bathroom sink that was leaning against a cabinet in the shop! However, once the slabs came in, they called me to come to the shop and approve them.

I was told 3 years for resealing, so it's time. 

Respected Contributor

Granddi - Totally agree with you!  We actually did go to the yard and  look at the exact piece that would be in our kitchen.  It is surprising how different one piece can be from another.  The sample of the one we ultimately decided on was much more yellow than I would have liked.  Good advice!