Honored Contributor

Re: in the market for granite counter tops?

I just had granite installed in three of my bathrooms and kitchen and I love it.  We were able to pick the actual slab of granite for each room.  I don't think there is much up keep to granite.  As for sealing I was told every 3-4 years and it's as easy as applying it yourself with a soft cloth.  My aunt put quartz in her kitchen and she isn't really thrilled with it. 

Honored Contributor

We got granite about 6 years ago. We looked at samples, then they took us on a golf cart out to the yard. It was huge. Couldn't make a decision at the time, so went back and wandered by myself. 

Finally found what we liked, they pulled out the slab and took the print of the counters and we picked where each part of the slab would be cut to fit. 

We we have never resealed it. 

Honored Contributor

To test to see if your granite tops need resealing, do a water test.  If the water beads up, the sealant is holding up fine, if it absorbs into the granite, the sealant is weak or non existant.  It's recommended to re-seal once a year but the newer sealants are great and you can go 2 or 3 years without having to do it.  The sealant stops the absorbtion of oils, spaghetti sauces and such that will permanently stain it.  Candle wax is the worst... the dye in candle wax is nearly impossible to get off granite as it goes into the stone.  Also after awhile you'll notice some pits in the granite and the sealant helps to fill them.....

All in all, putting sealant on is very easy, no elbow grease required.  You just take a soft cloth and apply the liquid evenly, let dry and viola.... done!!

I was lucky to get granite counter tops in our new house too.... even in the bathrooms and I love them... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

Thank you @granddi. I need a kitchen remodel in the worst way, and while I don't ever expect to be able to afford granite, it is a good thing to know before going in, that this can happen. 

I love how we constantly learn new things here.

When I redid my tiny kitchen in 2002, I chose Formica because I thought granite was too shiny.  I did end up using granite tiles for the top of a glass-front base cabinet with bun feet and fancy door pulls that was my special contribution to the kitchen.  I was wandering around Home Depot and heard from an employee that they had about a dozen granite tiles at a deep discount.  I got them all and ended up using them for the counter of that cabinet, which is lower than the rest and under a window.  I realized after everything went in that granite would have been a great choice.

Since then, I've come across tips for getting granite at a low price.  First, if you don't have a big kitchen, you can go to a granite yard and choose a remnant, a piece of granite that is left over from a big job but big enough for your purposes.  This is like fabric remnants that you can get at a ridiculous price.  I have many GORGEOUS fabric remnants of this nature.  I should be arrested for what I paid for them!

Second, you can buy granite tiles (preferably on sale!) and have the installer put them very close together, as my carpenter did.  I don't know if this would be helpful to you, but a bit of shopping around for specific types of bargains could make durable, beautiful granite as affordable as Formica.

OP:  Granite is far superior to many other countertops in terms of durability and ability to accommodate hot pans.  Therefore, maybe what you see as a flaw isn't as big a deal as you think?

Valued Contributor

Granite it very easy to seal. I did ours when we put it in the bathroom and it took no time at all. In fact I have not resealed it's been about a year. Be careful, granite will crack with hot pans. It has happened to several friends. I have quartz in kitchen, have had about ten years. Not sure if I would not prefer granite, and we have talked about switching out. I have noticed that by my sink I have shadows where dishes are put. It is the size of the dish I use, I never put hot pans down. Some days they show worse than others. I showed them to a friend who does kitchens and he wasn't sure. Actually, I'm not sure if anyone else would notice them but me.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love granite and see no problem with sealing it.  It's not like you have to do it daily!

I take everything off my counters all the time to clean it totally.  Although I dont' have a lot of *stuff* out on my counters. 

The small samples just give you an idea of what's available.  You just need to find out where the 'yard' is.  Cut to the chase!

I usually go in a totally different direction than what I originally was looking for. 

It's like looking for the perfect peice of art.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

@Lori Kaye wrote:

We were advised to use quartz on our new countertop. Still wondering what to do? 

Granite is lovely but requires care.  It needs to be sealed about once a year.....

We have had dark granite countertops for at least 15 years.  We cook almost every meal at home, and we cook a LOT.  We do not have a problem with having to seal it or take lots of clear sealing it.   I can't imagine anythingn easier to care for.  I'll bet we haven't sealed it more than four times in the whole time we've had it.  You just take the stuff off, clean it with a damp rag, spray the sealer on and some you wipe off then, some you don't.  No big deal whatsoever.  

We got a light colored countertop , had trouble with the install on it and it was inferior material in that lot.  Got the darker color, and wouldn't think of buying something other than granite now.  We simply love it!

Respected Contributor

I got my granite from Lowes, got to take a few samples home decided then the Lowes salesman told me where the local quarry was & show them the sample. The quarry was something to see, they had a forklift with suction cups & that peice was heavy. Very happy with it but that was about 8 yrs ago now reading I can reseal it myself I am interested. What do I buy?  Thanks in advance.

Trusted Contributor

Having had both in different homes, I would choose quartz over granite if I built or remodeled again.  I prefer the durability and the overall look - granite is just too busy for me, even the plainer ones,  but that's just a personal choice.  I know many love it.

I do grow weary of every house hunter on that show all insisting on "granite and stainless steel."  It is refreshing to hear one of the buyers say "no granite" just for a change of pace.

I have also had marble which I would never do again.  I didn't want it to start with but DH did. Just have to baby it too much and although I am an extremely clean cook anyway, it always bugged me that I had to constantly think about what I was placing on the marble.

Respected Contributor

My first choice was soapstone, but everybody and his brother talked me out of it.  I eventually rejected it when I learned the length of our counter would require multiple seams.

My second choice was quartz, but that didn't work out either.  Our kitchen has a Southern exposure, and the Southern wall is all windows.  When the sunlight came in and hit that quartz, it flashed / mirrored.  Blinding.

I said from Day 1 that I did not want granite -- too busy and too 'common' these days.  Our designer told me about leathered granite.  Curious, we went to the stone yard to see it, and I found it absolutely acceptable.  The texture is the surprise -- because it is matte and not smooth, most people do not recognize it as granite, and they just stand there and keep 'petting' it. 

The installer went on and on about how dense this particular granite is, and assured me I won't have to seal it for several years.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.