Respected Contributor

in the market for granite counter tops?

We redid our kitchen in anticipation of selling our home. We selected a generic/builders grade granite from a good company. They had slabs on display about 2'X4' pieces. 

We had to sign all sorts of disclosures and agreements with emphasis on "granite is made by God and we cannot guarantee that there will not be flaws, veins that naturally occur in granite." It also says they company will make every effort to put any flaw in an inconspicious place. 

Well my new granite has a 17"x 1" dark vein running diagonally in the most obvious place on my counter. 

My advice is to insist on seeing the exact slab that your counters will be made from. Do not rely on the sample in the showroom go out to the yard or warehouse. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: in the market for granite counter tops?

We were advised to use quartz on our new countertop. Still wondering what to do? 

Honored Contributor

Wow, I am so sorry this happened to you.... we had our kitchen totally redone in our last home (2 years before we moved).  Out of that contract with the construction company came the granite we would use in the kitchen.  We had five choices of coloration and I got to go to the actual quarry where the slabs were being held and pick the actual pieces that were to be used.   There were no unsightly large discolored veins so I was very happy and they installed it very well.  I don't remember us signing anything specific to the granite but I assume something of the nature you signed was probably within the contract.  But because they allowed me to actually pick the pieces we were going to use, I was very happy about it.

People only do something like this once (or twice) in a lifetime.... we didn't know anything about anything and really appreciated the contractors and sub-contractors that we worked with, they were outstanding.  I wouldn't have known to insist on actually picking out the granite personally but I can see from personal experience that it is an extremely important part of the design aspect....  

Aside from the contract you signed, there would be an obvious look to how the granite was installed and you may be able to take them to court over it.  Having a customer sign such a waiver and then take absolutely NO care in hiding the flaws should be an obvious breach of your contract.... at least I would try.  Having this done is.not.cheap...!    

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Lori Kaye wrote:

We were advised to use quartz on our new countertop. Still wondering what to do? 

Granite is lovely but requires care.  It needs to be sealed about once a year.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

The last thing I want to do is take care of a countertop!!  My sister loves her quartz counter, and good old formica countertops have come a long way......some really great styles.....

Respected Contributor

I could never pick granite from a little piece.  I need to see the whole slab. 

Honored Contributor

We recently replaced our countertop, I have never been a fan of granite.... in my opinion, the granite is way to busy....we fell in love with the quartz.

@Q4u wrote:

@Lori Kaye wrote:

Granite is lovely but requires care.  It needs to be sealed about once a year.....

Respected Contributor

We actually chose the granite slab in the factory.  Never had to sign a waiver or saw a small sample.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Thank you @granddi. I need a kitchen remodel in the worst way, and while I don't ever expect to be able to afford granite, it is a good thing to know before going in, that this can happen. 

I love how we constantly learn new things here.

Honored Contributor

@Lori Kaye wrote:

We redid our kitchen last year and are really happy with the quartz countertop we selected.