Respected Contributor

This is the one that got away.  P0000039592S0004T1.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I never had a ton of them, but I had quite a few.  Several years ago, I gave all but 3 of them to Goodwill.  I kept my original 3 which are the ones I liked best.  I have them on the dining room hutch. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

They're not as in demand or worth what they used to be. My parents had a bunch of them including the plates.  The first issued plate was worth over a grand at one time.

I have one - Heavenly Angel - they bought me for my birthday.  

Super Contributor

I have one - a little boy carrying an umbrella and a bag (don't know what it's called) I bought for my mother who loved Hummel.  It was many many years ago.  I couldn't really afford it at the time (don't remember the price now) but she loved them so much, I had to buy one for her birthday.  She died 12 years ago and I wouldn't sell it or give it away for anything.

Honored Contributor

My aunt and godmother were in Germany in the early 1950s when Hummels were a couple of dollars a piece.  My mother had a few but I never liked them.   The ones I had I donated.  Much prefer Lladro but certainly do not expect to get what I paid for them even if I wanted to sell them.  

Honored Contributor

The crafted of them,are just remarkable, made in Germany.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Earlier today when I read this thread the first time, I went to eBay and looked.  Some definitely do sell, but the competition is huge I would think —I looked specifically at the figurines and saw there were about 40,000 being offered.  I did look at the sold list, but no conclusions I thought were useful.

Respected Contributor

If you can sell them and make a buck sell them now.

As many have said these type of collector items are not sought after by younger generations.  

They prefer toss and go as they move for school and careers.

We had elder family members pass away with large collections of Hummels, Waterford, and Lladro.  We had to beg family members to take JUST ONE home as a keepsake.

Auction houses said, "no thank you."

Respected Contributor

Boy you guys are right about not much being collectible these days. I have boxed up so much stuff I used to collect (depression glass) and gave it away to a thrift store. Other things too. I'm also changing my furniture style from the mahogany antique style to the lighter coastal, beach style that is so light and modern. No one wants any of this furniture. Habitat took a few end tables but they don't want most of it. So, we tossed a 1930's mahogany twin bed frame with the side rails on the dump.  It has a mate and that's going to go as well. Next is my duncan phyfe dining room table. I hate it now and we turned that room into an office. No use for it anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

@appm wrote:

I have one - a little boy carrying an umbrella and a bag (don't know what it's called) I bought for my mother who loved Hummel.  It was many many years ago.  I couldn't really afford it at the time (don't remember the price now) but she loved them so much, I had to buy one for her birthday.  She died 12 years ago and I wouldn't sell it or give it away for anything.

I also have quite a few collectibles that my mother bought 50 years ago - they're in the hutch in my dining room. I'm surrounded by many other things she bought and loved --- and I love them as well.