Esteemed Contributor

has anyone here ever changed from an electric range/oven to gas?

[ Edited ]

I think our 20-something year old electric stove top & oven combo is dying. it's been doing strange things lately. we have gas heat and a gas fireplace, so there are gas lines already here.

has anyone here ever changed over from electric to gas?

is it a complicated, expensive project?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

Re: has anyone here ever changed from an electric range/oven to gas?

[ Edited ]

I looked into it a few years ago.  I had gas heat but wood burning fireplaces.  It was not complicated.  Just needed to have gas line run to kitchen.  I wanted a dual fuel range if I changed.  In the end I decided the expense was not worth it and just purchased another electric range.  

Honored Contributor

I change from electric to gas and back again every year. My home has an electric range and my summer home has a propane gas range. I find that I burn things more on the gas, because things cook so quickly. I believe propane runs hotter than regular gas. I finally bought an electric fry pan for camp so I would not keep burning DH's eggs. Personally, I prefer electric.

Honored Contributor

I was raised on electric, and that is how I learned to cook and bake.

My first place of my own had gas, and I've never gone back since then. I much prefer gas over electric. It is so much easier to control, especially the stove top, and I think it bakes better too.

We have had both natural gas and propane, and I don't see much difference in the performance, but agree with the other poster who stated that the propane might be a little hotter.

Just get a professional to run the gas lines for you, and be sure to have the stove professionally installed. 

Honored Contributor

YES, and we love it!  I had always cooked on electric, but it is wonderful. The heat is instantly on and instantly adjustable.  The minute DH turned it on, he only cooks breakfast on Sundays,  he said he loved the gas.

Honored Contributor

I had a gas line run about 30ft so I could have a gas log fireplace.  It was about $600, 15 years ago.  You might check behind your stove.  I bought a new electric to replace my old one.  When it was delivered and they pulled the old one out, there was a gas line behind it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My current home had a glasstop electric range when i bought it, but the plumbing for a gas range was already back there behind it (same with my dryer, so next time I get a new dryer, I'll give a gas dryer a try)  I changed it out to a gas range after about a year here.

In my previous home, I had a gas furnace & water heater, but the stove in the kitchen was electric, so I had a guy run the gas thru the crawlspace from the garage up thru the kiitchen floor behind the stove, so I could have a gas range.  Don't recall what it cost (it was back in 1983) but I recall the gas company had to come out & inspect it & sign off on it before we could hook up the gas range.

Valued Contributor

My mom has an electric stove and I hate it. I have always used gas to cook and wouldn't ever buy a house or condo with an electric stove. 

Honored Contributor

No gas is available in my neighborhood.......and I'm stuck with an electric range.     I hate it.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I've had an electric range/oven my whole life. I grew up using electric, got married had electric. We just built our cottage that is now our permanent home. I took a chance and opted for a gas range with electric oven. I can actually say I like cooking on both. Each one has their advantages and disadvantages. I'm glad I got electricity for my oven though, now that I'd really think I'd notice the difference. I had a glass cooktop with my electic range in my old house. That I LOVED a whole lot more than cleaning these gas grates and down inside all the time!! With my glass cooktop I'd just give it a swipe and walla it was clean! I feel a gas range is much more labor intensive. I'm a cleanaholic and find it a huge pain getting down under and wiping and cleaning the grates...ugh! Who on earth like that!? Cooking is about the same to me with electric or gas. I love the look of my gas range. I guess I'm saying is I really don't know why some hate electric? I tolerate both. Life is short...be happy with what you have. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"