Honored Contributor

@Pooky1,

Washers like the Kenmore your mother had, are exactly what many of us would love to have now!   

My Whirlpool washer has a very short soak cycle.   If you stop any wash cycle, and don’t restart within a certain time, the washer will drain all the water out, then stop, and you have to start the cycle over.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Pooky1   At one time, I had GE washer. dryer, and refrigerator, all lasted 20-25 years.  Four years ago, I bought a GE Monogram, terrible, leaks from the bottom, so we deal with it, otherwise I would have to empty the freezer and the refrigerator for someone to look at it for repair.

I wont buy another GE appliance.

Honored Contributor

I have a GE washer. It has various soak settings from 15 minutes to 2 hours and I use the soaking feature often.  It really helps to get out stains.  I wouldn’t buy another washer without that feature.

What I don’t like about my particular model is that I had to buy a lower end machine to get an agitator and it doesn’t have a spin speed control.  Everything spins at the fastest speed so many loads, especially sheets, end up twisted and unbalanced and the washer starts walking across the laundry room.  I’ll be more careful to avoid that with my next machine.

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have a Hotpoint, which is made by GE, a lower end of GE, had it for last 5 years, I love it!! 

And yes, any washer can soak if you fill it, then stop it and restart. 

@Shelbelle 

Not ALL washers, including my Whirlpool Cabrio HE washer, it automatically drains after a few minutes when turned 'off'.

@KingstonsMom 

Don't you hate that when it starts to drain automatically!  I still find it difficult to get used to!  I used to like to start my machine, stop it while looking for other things to throw in or just let it soak for a while.  After I got my Cabrio I tried it and came back to an empty machine several times!  Lol!  Now the dirty laundry hunt has to be fully done before starting it.

On a side note...what I miss immensely from my old machine is the delayed start feature.  I could put my laundry & soap in, close the lid, select how many hours to delay the start and it would start either 3, 6 or 9 hours later.  Great for when you were going out for a few hours and when I returned the laundry was just recently completed.

Respected Contributor

geezerette. thats what stood out to me was the soak feature. i tend to be a slob with cooking and eating and anything else so my clothes are allways have stains on them.

Valued Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

geezerette. thats what stood out to me was the soak feature. i tend to be a slob with cooking and eating and anything else so my clothes are allways have stains on them.

@Pooky1 

SHOUT is my best friend!  Lol!  I buy it by the mega-size at one of the warehouse stores!  😊

Respected Contributor

In almost 44 years of marriage, I've never had anything but GE washers & dryers. The first set was still going strong at 17 years old when we sold the mobile home they came in. The 2nd set lasted for 20+ years. Both sets had top loader washers. None of them ever needed a repair, til the 2nd set washer just died.

My current set of GE (front loader) is maybe 6 years old, never been a problem either. I use the delayed start on the washer frequently, and will never have another washer without it! I can go from 1 to 10 hours in 1 hour increments.

I'm sitting here at work trying to remember if mine has a soak cycle, lol! If it does, I've never used it.

Honored Contributor

We just had a new washer and dryer delivered about an hour ago.

To be honest,  I have no idea if our old set had a pre-soak feature. If it did, I never used it,

I assume this new set does as it seems to be capable of doing everything except cook dinner.  I’ll have to specifically look for that. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

we to i buy it at bjs wholesale club but latly i find for oil stains dawn dishwashing liquid works even better. i just let it sit a few hour or over night and stains allways come off.

Respected Contributor

my mil has had her whirlpool waher and dryer like atleast 15 years and until i said something and the buzzers on off switch she said i never noticed it had one,