Trusted Contributor

My basement upright freezer died. To save money, I bought a smaller chest freezer for the garage. i live in Cleveland, OH. Someone just told me it shouldn't be put in the garage because it is too cold during the winter in an unheated attached garage. Does anyone have any experience with this...a freezer in the garage failing etc?

Honored Contributor

My parents who lived in N.J.,  kept a chest freezer in the garage for over 30+ years.  Never an issue.  The person they sold the freezer to keeps it in their garage too.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Garage has temperature extremes makes it work

harder in summer and cold can’t be good either 

Honored Contributor

Yes, I was told the freezer will have to work harder if the outside temp is too low or the inside temp is too hot. I have my Kenmore chest freezer for 40 years, it's in my basement which is usually 62 to 71 degrees year round. I only have to defrost it once a year and it takes about 20 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: freezer qustion

[ Edited ]

yeahhhh ... I dunno about that.

Refrigerants are different these days. Might not be so tolerant of extremes in ambient temps.

I'd check at the manufacturer's website for a FAQ or 'ask us' section.

Honored Contributor

Re: freezer qustion

[ Edited ]

We have an upright freezer in the garage. If it's not full we put water in milk jugs to put in there. Your freezer works better when it's full. We have some milk jugs of water right now since we just defrosted it this past weekend.  

It gets in the 100°'s in the summer & can get down to 0° but not often in the winter.

My dad had a refrigerator freezer in his garage that did not last long at all. It said in the book that came with it not to put it in the garage.

Honored Contributor

We had an upright freezer in the garage.  It died at 7 years.  We think it was because the garage frequently heated over 90 degrees in the summer and it ran all day. 

We keep our garage heated to between 33 and 35 degrees in the winter so I don't know how a freezer in freezing temperatures would be effected.  

We think the high summer temperatures shortened its life.  

But, there is an old 1950's refrigerator in the garage with an old style freezer sitting at the outside wall where it might be subject to freezing, definitely, very hot temps.  It is still working.  

The only thing I can say is, they don't make them like they used to.  

Honored Contributor

I have a small chest type freezer in the garage, I live in midwest.  Garage is unheated, I have not had any issues in the 10 years I have had it.

Honored Contributor

Google it.

http://thehtrc.com/2015/faq-where-should-i-place-a-stand-alone-freezer

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Had mine in the garage for 24 years and everything is ok