Esteemed Contributor

Re: do you use a water filter?

No. We are on well water that most likely comes from a spring.

Great tasting and after 40 some years we are still alive and kicking, or should I say alive and dancing.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I use a Berkey water purifier with the black berkey filter elements and additional pf-2 filters.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

On 10/3/2014 aprilskies said:
On 10/3/2014 ical said:
On 10/3/2014 aprilskies said: Thanks for bringing this up. I was using a brita but stopped a while ago. I did want to get one for the sink but wasnt sure which one. I, too, think the plastic bottles are such a waste. We probably have a sea of them piled up. Yes, recycling is good, but I dont think they are keep up with the pace from what I hear from a good friend. I can see it too because I am alone and the amount of bottles really adds up so I cant imagine what families are piling up. I want to keep my bottles just for the road. I will look into some of these options. The brita was fine for awhile but I would really like to find one for the sink. My problem is I have a small sink. If I was in a house, I would definitely get the reverse osmosis.

You really should see how wonderful the true statistics are for recycling. Remember, too, that there is a push to get a deposit on all bottles, jars, containers in some areas. Why? Not because people aren't recycling, it is because for each $ that does not go to bottle deposit recovery (and just goes into recycling), that $ goes to the politicians.

There are so many, if not the majority, of towns/cities which have curbside, easy, recycling programs. And they are being used. There is no ignorance of recycling. But there is ignorance to not knowing how brilliant people are at their own personal recycling efforts. So using a plastic bottle for water, and without deposit fee (which it should be), isn't something for which people should be ashamed! IF they are recycling--and mostly all people are recycling their water bottles! So no need for people to hang their heads in shame if they are drinking from a bottle they know they will recycle. And recycling means the bottle lives again, in some other form, which AGAIN will be recycled. Hence, the name: RE-CYCLE. Smile

Edited to change a word.

ICal, I hope you are right about the recycling. I have heard otherwise. There is so much it is hard to keep up. However, I am trying to change things for myself as I go. I can only start with myself. There isnt a need to drink out of bottles when I am home and that is what I am looking to change. Too much plastic regardless of what is being recycled. I dont think anyone should be ashamed about drinking from it if that is what they choose. I drink from it myself but have been thinking lately, all those bottles are just too much. Everything has it's place. It comes in quite handy on the road. We can all reduce our footprint and that is what I am doing for myself with no judgment for others. A good water filter and a good water bottle would do the trick when I am home.

It's important to research, independently, and dig deeply and know who is "reporting" what they write (as you read). Step back and get all sides of the story. Motives, any hidden agenda, and let's not forget the "sky is falling" reporting out there, when, if you calmly view, with your view from several steps back, you may actually see there is much more to the story. And we (as a nation) are a good group of people who value recycling and we do it well, we do it often, and everyone should be proud that we have instilled this value in the next generation.

So it's not a matter if what I say is true, it is a matter that you find out, through the passion of knowing the truth--what is true through finding the facts.

Smile

Super Contributor

Code word: Bottle Bill

Respected Contributor

the city system that provides our water is in horrible condition, over a hundred years old and constantly on the verge of breaking down. there are boil water alerts often. that's why we have been buying bottled water. recycling is a great thing, but wouldn't it be a good thing if there was less material that needed to be recycled? thank you all for the responses. now I'm off to do some research on all your suggestions.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

On 10/3/2014 ical said:
On 10/3/2014 aprilskies said:
On 10/3/2014 ical said:
On 10/3/2014 aprilskies said: Thanks for bringing this up. I was using a brita but stopped a while ago. I did want to get one for the sink but wasnt sure which one. I, too, think the plastic bottles are such a waste. We probably have a sea of them piled up. Yes, recycling is good, but I dont think they are keep up with the pace from what I hear from a good friend. I can see it too because I am alone and the amount of bottles really adds up so I cant imagine what families are piling up. I want to keep my bottles just for the road. I will look into some of these options. The brita was fine for awhile but I would really like to find one for the sink. My problem is I have a small sink. If I was in a house, I would definitely get the reverse osmosis.

You really should see how wonderful the true statistics are for recycling. Remember, too, that there is a push to get a deposit on all bottles, jars, containers in some areas. Why? Not because people aren't recycling, it is because for each $ that does not go to bottle deposit recovery (and just goes into recycling), that $ goes to the politicians.

There are so many, if not the majority, of towns/cities which have curbside, easy, recycling programs. And they are being used. There is no ignorance of recycling. But there is ignorance to not knowing how brilliant people are at their own personal recycling efforts. So using a plastic bottle for water, and without deposit fee (which it should be), isn't something for which people should be ashamed! IF they are recycling--and mostly all people are recycling their water bottles! So no need for people to hang their heads in shame if they are drinking from a bottle they know they will recycle. And recycling means the bottle lives again, in some other form, which AGAIN will be recycled. Hence, the name: RE-CYCLE. Smile

Edited to change a word.

ICal, I hope you are right about the recycling. I have heard otherwise. There is so much it is hard to keep up. However, I am trying to change things for myself as I go. I can only start with myself. There isnt a need to drink out of bottles when I am home and that is what I am looking to change. Too much plastic regardless of what is being recycled. I dont think anyone should be ashamed about drinking from it if that is what they choose. I drink from it myself but have been thinking lately, all those bottles are just too much. Everything has it's place. It comes in quite handy on the road. We can all reduce our footprint and that is what I am doing for myself with no judgment for others. A good water filter and a good water bottle would do the trick when I am home.

It's important to research, independently, and dig deeply and know who is "reporting" what they write (as you read). Step back and get all sides of the story. Motives, any hidden agenda, and let's not forget the "sky is falling" reporting out there, when, if you calmly view, with your view from several steps back, you may actually see there is much more to the story. And we (as a nation) are a good group of people who value recycling and we do it well, we do it often, and everyone should be proud that we have instilled this value in the next generation.

So it's not a matter if what I say is true, it is a matter that you find out, through the passion of knowing the truth--what is true through finding the facts.

Smile

Okay, well, you are welcome to keep recycling if that is what you like to do and believe in, for me, regardless of the "truth," I am choosing all by myself, calmly, with no research to reduce my footprint because that is what I feel is right for me. But keep keeping on.

I love people with opinions, however, when you dont step away from yours and hear what others are saying, you lose so much ground.

Respected Contributor

On 10/3/2014 ValuSkr said:

I use a Brita pitcher with filter and love it. Bottled water is not only expensive (how much do you spend per year?), but all the plastic and transportation are harming the the environment. It makes no sense to buy if you have decent public water.

ITA!! It make me crazy to think how much I have paid for water. lol Plus, the fact those cases get really heavy. I have lugging those. I need to pull out my brita again. I think I need to get the slimmer one, the one I have takes up so much space in the fridge.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

We have terrible tasting and smelling well water. We recently got a Kinetico system put in. What a HUGE difference. What was wrong with us all of these years? Pricey but worth it.
Honored Contributor

No. None of the affordable water filters remove fluoride so I refill gallon jugs of water using a water machine at the grocery store every week. I do not drink or cook with tap water.

Honored Contributor

I've had many water filters over the years, including filters on the showerhead and on the waterline for my ice maker. Right now I have a Brita pitcher filter. I use it the filter water I drink and the water going into my Keurig, but I don't filter water I cook with.

I also have a lot of reusable water bottles that I fill up with ice and water before I leave the house.