Honored Contributor

Re: do you use a water filter?

We have reverse osmosis and love it. For an initial investment of 200 bucks or so, you have free, clean water forever!

We started out renting it. for 19.00@mo/ He installed the system. Then after a year we never received a bill, or a return call when we called to ask about a bill. That was 4 years ago.

Honored Contributor

On 10/3/2014 luvtoshopathome said: If you want the best tasting water ever, buy the ZERO water pitcher or dispenser. It comes with a tester so you will be able to find out how many impurities are in your water and bottled water. It's amazing how many impurities are in the water we drink and we buy in those bad plastic bottles. My water at home tested for 230 impurities, the ZERO water tested 0, when it goes through their filter. I purchased mine' which is the largest dispenser at BB&Beyond for $39.95 and then used the 20% off coupon. The pitcher was $34.95 but holds much less water than the dispenser, which you can put in your refrigerator.

I have this as well

Super Contributor

On 10/2/2014 Mochahoney said:

I'm tired of buying bottled water. we recycle the bottles, but we fill up a huge recycle bag with water bottles about every week and a half and there's just 2 of us in our household. it's just such a waste. so I'm thinking of buying a water filter and would really appreciate your input if you have one. I don't know what would be better, the kind you attach to the water faucet ( either directly on the faucet or under the sink) or the kind that filters water in a container and is kept in the fridge.

Plastic water bottles being recycled is not a waste. It's brilliant! The plastic is being recycled. Thank you for doing that because that's what is so nice about what most people do--they recycle. Don't believe me? How often do you see water bottles strewn along roads and highways? Are you tripping on them when you walk in the park? Or hike on a trail? No!

As for water filters, if you have water which is fluoridated or has bleach added or other things, then either use bottled water to drink and cook, or figure out some good filter which can be a pain because of filter changes or fear of frogs growing (humor here) in the "you don't have to replace this filter for 20 years"-type filters.

If you have well water, drink deeply. Unless you have a bad well.

Valued Contributor

We generally don't buy bottled water and just use tap. The water in our area is just fine.

However, I've thought about those faucet attachment filters before. We drink loads of water in our house. All of us, including our children, are really good about this. Not sure if we need a filter. But I'll be reading this thread to hear opinions.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks for bringing this up. I was using a brita but stopped a while ago. I did want to get one for the sink but wasnt sure which one. I, too, think the plastic bottles are such a waste. We probably have a sea of them piled up. Yes, recycling is good, but I dont think they are keep up with the pace from what I hear from a good friend. I can see it too because I am alone and the amount of bottles really adds up so I cant imagine what families are piling up. I want to keep my bottles just for the road. I will look into some of these options. The brita was fine for awhile but I would really like to find one for the sink. My problem is I have a small sink. If I was in a house, I would definitely get the reverse osmosis.
Super Contributor

On 10/3/2014 aprilskies said: Thanks for bringing this up. I was using a brita but stopped a while ago. I did want to get one for the sink but wasnt sure which one. I, too, think the plastic bottles are such a waste. We probably have a sea of them piled up. Yes, recycling is good, but I dont think they are keep up with the pace from what I hear from a good friend. I can see it too because I am alone and the amount of bottles really adds up so I cant imagine what families are piling up. I want to keep my bottles just for the road. I will look into some of these options. The brita was fine for awhile but I would really like to find one for the sink. My problem is I have a small sink. If I was in a house, I would definitely get the reverse osmosis.

You really should see how wonderful the true statistics are for recycling. Remember, too, that there is a push to get a deposit on all bottles, jars, containers in some areas. Why? Not because people aren't recycling, it is because for each $ that does not go to bottle deposit recovery (and just goes into recycling), that $ goes to the politicians.

There are so many, if not the majority, of towns/cities which have curbside, easy, recycling programs. And they are being used. There is no ignorance of recycling. But there is ignorance to not knowing how brilliant people are at their own personal recycling efforts. So using a plastic bottle for water, and without deposit fee (which it should be), isn't something for which people should be ashamed! IF they are recycling--and mostly all people are recycling their water bottles! So no need for people to hang their heads in shame if they are drinking from a bottle they know they will recycle. And recycling means the bottle lives again, in some other form, which AGAIN will be recycled. Hence, the name: RE-CYCLE. Smile

Edited to change a word.

Respected Contributor

On 10/3/2014 ical said:
On 10/3/2014 aprilskies said: Thanks for bringing this up. I was using a brita but stopped a while ago. I did want to get one for the sink but wasnt sure which one. I, too, think the plastic bottles are such a waste. We probably have a sea of them piled up. Yes, recycling is good, but I dont think they are keep up with the pace from what I hear from a good friend. I can see it too because I am alone and the amount of bottles really adds up so I cant imagine what families are piling up. I want to keep my bottles just for the road. I will look into some of these options. The brita was fine for awhile but I would really like to find one for the sink. My problem is I have a small sink. If I was in a house, I would definitely get the reverse osmosis.

You really should see how wonderful the true statistics are for recycling. Remember, too, that there is a push to get a deposit on all bottles, jars, containers in some areas. Why? Not because people aren't recycling, it is because for each $ that does not go to bottle deposit recovery (and just goes into recycling), that $ goes to the politicians.

There are so many, if not the majority, of towns/cities which have curbside, easy, recycling programs. And they are being used. There is no ignorance of recycling. But there is ignorance to not knowing how brilliant people are at their own personal recycling efforts. So using a plastic bottle for water, and without deposit fee (which it should be), isn't something for which people should be ashamed! IF they are recycling--and mostly all people are recycling their water bottles! So no need for people to hang their heads in shame if they are drinking from a bottle they know they will recycle. And recycling means the bottle lives again, in some other form, which AGAIN will be recycled. Hence, the name: RE-CYCLE. Smile

Edited to change a word.

ICal, I hope you are right about the recycling. I have heard otherwise. There is so much it is hard to keep up. However, I am trying to change things for myself as I go. I can only start with myself. There isnt a need to drink out of bottles when I am home and that is what I am looking to change. Too much plastic regardless of what is being recycled. I dont think anyone should be ashamed about drinking from it if that is what they choose. I drink from it myself but have been thinking lately, all those bottles are just too much. Everything has it's place. It comes in quite handy on the road. We can all reduce our footprint and that is what I am doing for myself with no judgment for others. A good water filter and a good water bottle would do the trick when I am home.
Honored Contributor

We have a fridge that has water and ice in the door - there is a filter on that and that is where we get our ice, drinking water and cooking water, so it is all filtered.My DH changes that filter once a year when we get back to Florida from Pa. so it lasts about 7 months.

Our water at home has a lot of chlorine in it and it makes my hair dull so I use a brita that I keep by the tub for filtered water to wash my hair.

Respected Contributor

Our tap water tastes metallic so I use a Brita filter/pitcher for drinking, coffee, tea, etc. and it tastes great. I keep it on the counter as I don't like cold water.

My husband prefers bottled water so we buy the Kirkland water at Costco. Very inexpensive at about 10 cents per bottle (we recycle the empties).

Honored Contributor

I use a Brita pitcher with filter and love it. Bottled water is not only expensive (how much do you spend per year?), but all the plastic and transportation are harming the the environment. It makes no sense to buy if you have decent public water.