Esteemed Contributor

Re: cornstalks in outside fall decor

Very pretty and I am sure it will look nice. Passers by will smile too!

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

On 9/15/2014 ical said:

Be careful with cornstalks. Some have brought in creatures into their yard and never bring them into your home or office. Last year, someone used cornstalks as an indoor decoration for a halloween party and they brought in roaches which were hidden in the intact corn cobs still attached! I heard someone brought mice into their homes/parties as well. I was at that party and there were tiny bugs crawling among the "cupcake" table. In the center was a cornstalk with a scarecrow. We all looked closely at the "bugs" and found out they were tiny roaches and upon closer inspection by someone brave enough to figure it out (not me), they found the bugs were coming down from the cornstalk!

Might be nice outside (mailbox, etc), but be careful inside. Thought I'd share this so you won't have a problem into Thanksgiving if they nest somewhere else after leaving their cornstalk-home.

You can say the same thing about live Christmas trees. When we first moved to Pa 22 years ago we would go the the tree farm with the kids and choose a live tree. Seems like we would always get these little spiders which would crawl onto the living room ceiling which I hated. After a few years we just bought an artificial tree and still use it.

Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 Nana5 said:

I like the cornstalk display.

I've got a whole field of cornstalks inches from my backyard. DH and I take the dog for a walk in the cleared part of the field twice a day. Love fall and all the colors, smells and delights it brings.

Oh I wish I could buy some from you, lucky you!

Honored Contributor

As far as a poster saying their neighborhood doesn't decorate ............ I decorate for myself, not the neighbors, but it is so funny, they are always watching and copying me, LOL!

Honored Contributor

On 9/18/2014 Hooty said:

As far as a poster saying their neighborhood doesn't decorate ............ I decorate for myself, not the neighbors, but it is so funny, they are always watching and copying me, LOL!

Hooty, your neighbors copying your decorations is a sincere form of flattery. Yours must be very pretty.

Contributor

It's a glorious picture no matter what...BUT .. I never thought about all the pesky little buggers you mentioned . You are so right. There are so many things in this day and age we must consider in this life now.

Years ago we could just have fun!

Respected Contributor

I have always did decorating with cornstalks and I still do, then I put my pumpkin lights on them and fancy fall ribbons. One year I made a big wreath out of fresh Indian colored corn cobs. All different colored cobs I wired to the wreath form it was a master piece to look at. I even put a lite up pumpkin face in the center to accent the wreath. Welllll lo and behold so did the squirrels, I looked out on my deck and there they were chomping away having a party eating the corn of the cobs. Went out yesterday and bought 5 bales of hay now to figure out how they are going to be decorated and lights put on them. Definitely want to use a bliss light on the front porch. Have enough stuff here to decorate 5 homes inside and out with fall and Halloween decorations. I hate to part with all this stuff for one thing it is all nice items and plus over the years I spent a lot of money on all these decorations.