Valued Contributor

I'm not a Corian fan.  I think it lacks a certain lustre that granite and quartz has.  

I don't understand why people think having granite is so hard to keep up with?  There is absolutely nothing to do other than clean them.  I wouldn't put a hot pot directly on any surface.  

Comparing hospital granite to one being used in a home isn't really a fair comparison.  LOL

Respected Contributor

Since my post was poofed because it was attached to another post that was poofed, I'll start again.

I would see what is popular in quick selling homes in my area if I was concerned about resell value.  If not, go with what your budget allows and what you like.  Just know that countertops are a major expense and you can over improve your kitchen beyond what the local market will support resulting in no added value.

Personally, I like recycled glass countertops.  They are environmentally friendly, come in many colors, and are just as durable, if not more so, than stone.  I am not talking about the solid glass countertops, which can be more fragile, but the ones with chips of recycled glass mixed with acrylic polymer or concrete.  Here are some examples:

Image result for recycled glass countertops

Related image

I know many think the glass is delicate, but all stone and countertops are.  If you drop something heavy on any countertop you will damage it along with fire, water, and spills that aren't cleaned up right away.  Glass can be more expensive than stone but it is much for environmentally friendly and reuses what we have already stripped from mother Earth.  I would also consider a section of recycled butcher block, reclaimed old/barn wood or even finished concrete.  

My home came with burgundy Formica, so I will keep that until it needs replacement versus just changing to "update".  I have done the same with my horrid burgundy carpet.  I replaced it with vinyl wood planks because I have allergies and pets.  This is similar to mine.  It is more durable than wood or laminate with high traffic and pets and kids.  Like all flooring, there are low qualities and higher qualities. I suggest people go with the highest quality their budget will allow.  Quality doesn't always cost more, but often it is the case.

Related image

Respected Contributor
FYI I just searched for Formica. Apparently they also make a solid surface, non-porous material the OP may want to check out since it is the same as Corian and comes in different colors/patterns. Their website has info ans swatches. Then again, if it isn't sold locally, it might not be an option.
Honored Contributor

I lived in a house that had a master bath with a Corian tub w/Corian surround on walls and a sink/counter all-in-one. It was magnificent and so easy to clean. That was a long time ago when we rented. Today that would be so expensive to do.

Respected Contributor

When we bought our home there was Corian counter tops in both baths.

It still looks new after 43 years.

Respected Contributor

I had corian in my powder room in the house we just sold, it was white and looked as the good as the day it was installed.  There are many "levels" of quality, no matter what product you decide on, get the most expensive "level" you can afford.  I think that makes a big difference in how it holds up.  

Honored Contributor

@Hayfield I think you are correct - many levels of quality in every various material. I'm sure the corian that we had in our camper was not the same as Dupont corian which is the company who invented it and seems to be the best there is.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  On the dupont website I saw a shower they did in the marble corian, with a built in seat. It was beautiful. It certainly would be easy to keep clean.

Respected Contributor

Re: corian counter tops

[ Edited ]

Corian (a trademarked name of the Dupont company) often loses out to granite or quartz or the new recycled glass countertops because it lacks the same three-dimensional appearance of, say, marble or other natural stone.  It's basically a flat image.

The quartz in my kitchen now (put in by builder) easily could be mistaken for marble or other natural stone, because it has many layers of colors (black, many shades of gray and white) and depths  under the surface. 

If I had a choice, I would have seen whether I could have gotten a less-boring straight edge on the quartz.  

Someday I intend to replace the counters, sink and (if possible) even the gas cooktop, and I plan to have a lot of fun choosing something new.  It probably won't be Corian, though, and is most likely to be quartz again---just a little plainer, more elegant pattern than I have now.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 You have clearly not gone to the dupont corian website and looked at the newest patterns they now have available.