Honored Contributor

I have Corian in my kitchen and love it.  When we were going to get new counters, I looked at them all....granite...nice but expensive....Quartz very nice as well...my decision was made because I needed a light counter and could not find anything light in granite or Quartz that I liked.   Found what I liked in Corian....an ivory solid color....love it.  I am cautious about putting anything hot on it.  

Tip....got this from installer......he suggested we keep the cut-out pieces from two sinks...kitchen and bar.  He suggested we buff corners and set on counter as cutting-board or place for hot pots....very handy!!!  Glad we kept the pieces.  I really don't need it on bar but sure handy in kitchen.

Esteemed Contributor

We had Corian in our old house in the kitchen and bathrooms. Loved it. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@January121 wrote:

For me there is nothing richer looking than Granite ... I don’t understand the misconception that Granite needs so much upkeep..... as long as it’s sealed before installation it remains maintenance free for many years... I love the rich look of Granite 😍

@January121- I agree. We bought our house, a new build, in early 2005. Granite counter tops. We’ve never done anything to them and they look as good as they did 13 years ago. The only thing we do that’s different is use a spray granite cleaner. Just sprays out of a spray bottle. So, no extra upkeep for us with granite. 

Count me in as another granite fan. Upkeep is minimal and nothing quite matches the beauty and shine. I like the natural look of granite.

I guess I'm "waxing poetic", but for me the difference in cost compared to Corian is money well spent.

Honored Contributor

Three years ago we did a re-do of somethings we didn't quite get right when we built our home in 2000.  We decided either fix them or sell, we have > 7 acres which we could never replace here. So we did the updates.

Prior to this we had Corian in our previous home for 18 years, and in this home for 10 years.  Total Corian time, 28 years.

Never had a problem with it. None, Nada.

When we built in 2000 I was pining for Granite, but it was WAY too costly, so we used Corian again;  In the intervening 10 years, EVERYONE got granite.  I was just tired of seeing it.  Nothing wrong with it, I was just over it.

So, we went out looking.  I fell in love with Quartz.  Wouldn't you know it - the granite I had so much wanted was now less than the Quartz I HAD to have.  So, we bit the bullet and put in Quartz.  Not sorry.

But, all in all, with the new looks in Corian I'd likely be just as happy.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Wow! The misinformation people are spreading about granite is unbelievable!! I have all granite in my cottage now and recently got corian installed in our office and really love them both! I like granite because I'm all for using natural products and I love the natural veins and such on my countertops. There is absolutely NO care! Chips from silverware around the sink?? Seriously?? You literately have to take a sledge hammer to damage granite! My dh just got corian installed in his office and today's corian is phenomenal! I had corian when it first came out back in the late 80's and I hated it. It has vastly improved and looks and wears like iron. 

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

The corian in our kitchen is about 25 years old and I hate it!  It cracked and the installer's response was to glue other pieces of corian on top of the cracks and try to patch it.  It just cracked more but by that time the warranty had expired.  I'd sooner have laminate.

Honored Contributor

I worked in a hospital for about 30 years that had black granite countertops in all the unit kitchens - long before it was stylish. In every single one of those kitchens that granite was broken in some way. Many it was cracked all the way thru and had lifted on one side. To pay that much for it and then have it break - no way on earth.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I worked in a hospital for about 30 years that had black granite countertops in all the unit kitchens - long before it was stylish. In every single one of those kitchens that granite was broken in some way. Many it was cracked all the way thru and had lifted on one side. To pay that much for it and then have it break - no way on earth.

That wasnt the smartest place to install granite. Two retired people are not going to crack granite. You sound like you have made your mind up so shy did you ask.

Esteemed Contributor

The Corian that was installed in my kitchen looks as good today as when we redid our kitchen. We redid our kitchen in the mid 90's and sold in 2010 - looked like new.

I had a chance to stop by my old house on a trip north and looked at the kitchen again and wow, still looks like new.

Never had a stain, crack or any other thing people have mentioned. In fact, the people that bought my house are still happy with the look and upkeep of the kitchen.

Esteemed Contributor

I have corian in my kitchen and two bathrooms. Love it!  Easy to maintain and no special cleaners to purchase. ( I have the white)