Honored Contributor

Any one here done this,is it hard to do? Any pictures of items you have done?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest there is a thread that was started by @flickerbulb - she was doing a few projects with it.

Honored Contributor

Re: chalk painting

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest  DH and I have been talking about redoing our bedroom...everything - carpet, paint, new furniture, mattress, bedding.  I've been pricing furniture and really have a hard time parting with that kind of money right now.  Just the other day I learned about paint product called Rethunk Junk by Laura and this is what I've decided to use to redo what we already have.  After washing and allowing the furniture to dry completely, there's a prep product to apply and then the paint.  No stripping required.  I'm removing the mirrored hutch from my dresser will paint DH's chest of drawers and the base of my dresser.  If I can, I'm going to remove the mirror from the hutch and repurpose it in a new frame that I'll paint too.  I've seen assorted pieces painted with the Rethunk Junk at a local shop and they're gorgeous.  That shop has some small tables that I might buy and use as side tables by the bed or I might try to find some cheap someplace and redo them.   I have a tall jewelry cabinet on legs that I might end up painting too.  I'm excited about getting started, but we need to map out a plan before I get started.  Funny, the lady that owns the shop told me she started just like this then friends started asking her to do pieces for her.  She started collecting old furniture to have on hand.  He husband got a little tired of it and told her she needed to go into business.  Now she has a storage unit for her pieces in waiting.

Honored Contributor

I chalk painted a brass lamp and it came out lovely. No prep - could not have been any simpler. I also did not buy the expensive chalk paints online - I went to Home Depot and bought a 1/2 pint for $3 that is sold as a sample. You do have to invest in a really good brush.I have almost all of it left. I finished mine with a clear finish.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch if you can think of keeping either the tops of the dressers or the fronts of the drawers in wood. That combo of painted and natural wood together is so pretty.We redid a table for our kitchen and DH removed the tabletop and refinished it in walnut, then we painted the remainder of the piece and the chairs white and antiqued them with walnut glaze, then reupholstered the seats in a dark brown fabric and it looks fabulous. It really looks brand new.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I chalk painted a brass lamp and it came out lovely. No prep - could not have been any simpler. I also did not buy the expensive chalk paints online - I went to Home Depot and bought a 1/2 pint for $3 that is sold as a sample. You do have to invest in a really good brush.I have almost all of it left. I finished mine with a clear finish.

Could you post a picture? Was it your first time?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: chalk painting

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch if you can think of keeping either the tops of the dressers or the fronts of the drawers in wood. That combo of painted and natural wood together is so pretty.We redid a table for our kitchen and DH removed the tabletop and refinished it in walnut, then we painted the remainder of the piece and the chairs white and antiqued them with walnut glaze, then reupholstered the seats in a dark brown fabric and it looks fabulous. It really looks brand new.

@151949  I agree.  There was a display in the shop, a farmhouse type kitchen table.  She had the top stained in like a dark walnut and the rest in a cream color.  She didn't have the chairs out yet because they weren't done yet, but the table was stunning.  There were a couple other pieces that had three different colors and pretty too.  I'm really looking forward to these projects.  If they come out well, I might even consider painting my kitchen cabinets somewhere down the line.

Honored Contributor

Sorry - i am using an android tablet so No I can't post pictures.

I have been refinishing furniture since I was a teenager, I have many antiques in my home, and am emotionally attached to each one of them.

With this particular table we were very happy that the tabletop was attached with screws to the base so DH was easily able to get it off.It is difficult to do a 2 tone piece if they are still attached together.We had to strip the tabletop but the base and the chairs we just painted over the old finish after we did some minor repairs , then antiqued but really rubbed most of the glaze off so they weren't very dark. We used outdoor polyurethane as a final coat on the tabletop so we could eat on it and not have to worry if water spilled etc.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  I have never done kitchen cabinets but I understand they are a horse of a totally different color. They require multiple layers of paint with sanding of each layer and then finally a clear coat of something on top. Before you can even begin to paint they have to be cleaned of every molecule of grease or grime or the paint won't stick - then primed with something like KILZ  then the painting starts. They are not a simple project, and are best left to a professional.