Honored Contributor

@Hoovermomwrote:

My post was removed because I put a company name.  I thought that was okay but did not put a link name just a picture.  That's not okay?  I see all kinds of people putting fashion pictues with all of the description and place to buy them but allowed to stay?    Double standard seems to me.  I wish the moderators would answer my question.

Anyway, you need carpet double-sided tape along the edges of the rug.  This will keep it snug on the floor and consequently no tripping.

@Hoovermom@.  You need to notify the Mods with the @ sign so they can see you are asking them a question.

Honored Contributor

My dad had a wheelchair to get him from place to place since it was hard for him to walk. Rugs you have to be careful of as far as tripping over. Don't think an area rug would trip him, but just in case.  Just my own thought.

Respected Contributor

@LindaSalwrote:

I don't think you do need a pad under a 12X12 carpet.   The weight of the furniture will keep it from sliding.  I don't have a pad under mine which is a bit larger, maybe 15X15 and I've never had a problem.  I do have pads under my smaller area rugs in my kitchen on the tile, those are very slippery.  The pads are very thin though so no raise in the carpet height, but it does the trick.  I bought the pads on LL Bean.  Best wishes.

I am exactly the same as you. I have them under the smaller ones in the kitchen and also under one large one in the entry way that nothing sits on. But in the other rooms where they are large I don't.

Esteemed Contributor

I have all types of floor surfaces in our home from marble, tile, ceramic, hardwood and carpet. I also have quite a few area rugs and rugs. I use the Royal Palace non skid mats for under the area rugs. I having padding under the carpet  I use microfiber rugs in the bathroom that has the non skid backing. Rugs will slide on a smooth surface so you do need a mat underneath. The ones I use are thin but grip. Our GSD's give these rugs/mats a real test and they work for our needs.

I have a friend who had carpet and area rugs installed without padding. She has furniture to anchor it in place. The old carpet had padding. Her opinion is that it's a matter of preference but they have no medical needs to be concerned about with tripping, etc. 

Hope this helps you.

QVC Customer Care

@Hoovermom Sorry for the confusion, the picture of the carpet tape was a clickable link that took posters to Amazon.  Cindy

Respected Contributor

I have area rugs in my living room, dining room and tv room.  I do not have a pad under them, but they were high quality and expensive rugs.  Those thin area rugs that you see used on HGTV are always curling up on the ends and wrinkling.  IMO putting out the money for quality will benefit you for a long time.

Honored Contributor

This is actually carpet that will be cut to size and the edges bound.

Respected Contributor

Since your dh has a hard time on the hard tile, why aren't you putting down hardwoods.  It probably would be easier for him.  I have tile and I hate it, it is murder on the feet, legs and back.

Honored Contributor

@Tyak The house already has tile - if it didn't we would have put carpet.

Respected Contributor

@151949wrote:

@Tyak The house already has tile - if it didn't we would have put carpet.

Oh, I thought you were having one built.