Honored Contributor

and how are you using colors when you make things?

Is there anything you enjoy crochet or knitting?  What colors do you lean towards?

Honored Contributor

Re: and how are you using colors when you make things?

I knit for 2 church groups.  I love the multi color yarns that automatically make a pattern as I knit, e.g. Caron's Big Cakes or Lion Brand's Homespun.  They make beautiful shawls or lap robes.   I tend to stay away from very dark, solid colors.

Honored Contributor

I'm a blue/green gal.

Most of what's in my closet is either blue or green or works with blue or green.

I love the shade of olive or a grass green.

Turquoise is another favorite.

I guess I was absent the day in art class where the color wheel was taught..

So I've had to train myself on what colors work together.

I've also studied quilts.   Quilts are so beautiful and so many of the crafters really know how to work with color.   When I see something pleasing to the eye, I know it but I didn't understand why until I learned first about the color wheel.  In other words, you can answer the question of why  yellow goes with red.

This may sound cliche, but take cues from nature.   When I look out my back door this morning, I see blue sky and green grass & trees.   If you are not a blue/green gal, look at sunsets. 

color wheel.jpg  

Honored Contributor

I prefer knitting and crocheting using multiple yarn colors and textures or variegated yarns.   I go by instinct rather than "rules" and that works for me and my taste.   (I've been doing this since I was a little girl.)

I only use solid color yarns if I'm makng something with a surface texture.  I'm currently making a tuck stitch sweater - solid lime green.  Multiple colors would obscure the stich pattern.  

So - use of color also depends on what you are making, and the stitches you are using in both knitting and crocheting.  

Several of my methods ...

(1)  Making something in a favorite color scheme.  For instance, I wanted a jacket in navy, yellow and white.  Two of my fave techniques are modular knitting and freeform knitting.  Easy way to play with colors to get the desired result.  I posted a picture of this jacket here some months ago.

(2) I'll come across a scarf or a picture in a magazine that have a particular scheme that attracts me .... so I'll grab a bunch of colors and decide what to make.  I have an enormous stash of all my fave colors.

(3)  There are a couple of yarn brands that have the most fantastic dyers.  Noro is by far the best and most interesting yarns.   Koigu is another colorful yarn.  

(4)  I also love mosaic knitting and you can get some really fab color effects mixing solid and variegated yarns.

Honored Contributor

My goal is make some blankets for the Vets, and men and women in the shelters in town.  I'm doing the granny squares blankets now.  I'm wanting these to be as comforting for these people as I can make them.  I'm also planning to learn how to do shawls, to make prayer shawls.  Men or women can use these.  I find myself saying a little prayer to help me do a good job for who will use these someday.  It's something I feel I want and need to do.  

Super Contributor

I have enjoyed making boot toppers out of Noro Silk Garden hand-dyed yarns.  Beautifully blended colors and the project is fairly quick and easy.  A pretty pop of color during the cold months.  I'm looking forward to marathon knitting when I retire.

Noro Silk Garden.jpgNoro Silk Garden 3.jpgNoro Silk Garden 2.jpg

Honored Contributor

@zanna Oh I just came across those this last week.  How cute are those!!! I copied off some free patterns and I need to make a list of the things I want to accomplish in getting good enough to make some really great ones.

I'm learning a lot  from UTube and on line.  Love this!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@software - The other place to get color inspiration is at a farmer's market or flower garden. I usually take pics when I'm out and about so I always have some inspiration for my quilting. And, Mother Nature never makes a mistake with color, imo.

Honored Contributor

Not a knitter, but I'm chalk painting a kitchen table a coral-ly color this afternoon.

Will compliment the soft lime green and light blue Flanders chairs nearby.

I'm all over the color wheel with this house!
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm - The other color I like to compliment a coral color is navy blue - those colors look great together.