Honored Contributor

? about tub surrounds for a tub/shower--one piece or 3

I asked the question about one piece tub/shower surrounds and have decided to nix that options due partly to all of your comments---a big thanks to all!!

Now---what about a one piece or 3 piece surrounding  the tub? Oh man, the hubs was irritated with my not getting the one piece--but I will stick to my guns. am still looking at the easiest way to clean it. Will research on line but want your opinions too-----thanks

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: ? about tub surrounds for a tub/shower--one piece or 3

I missed your last survey.  I prefer one piece units if at all possible.  My mother had a bathroom renovation ten years ago.  She got a three panel shower.  I hate it due to it being connected with grout.  We've had leaks that don't get addressed until I'm there.  I can't speak to bathtub walls, but assume there is the same concern.

Super Contributor

I had my shower resurfaced before selling my home last year.  It looked brand new.  I also had the shower in my next home professionally cleaned and re-grouted/sealed.  It was worth the money.    My general contractor was very much against using those surrounds that cover the existing tile.  He told me it just creates problems over time.  Maybe look into a professional clean by tile company?  It's easier to keep it clean with daily spraying of Tilex (or similar product) once you start with a clean slate.

Honored Contributor

I would be concerned about mold buildup behind those overlays.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

A couple of years ago we remodeled my daughter's bathroom.  We pulled out the existing tub and did a tub to shower conversion using a product called Onyx.  The website for the manufacturer is onyxcollection.com.  We went from a builder grade Kohler tub and fiberglass surround to a beautiful solid surface shower base and surround.  The installation was done probably about 2 years ago now and it still looks brand new.  We chose a surround that looks like subway tile but without all the headaches of grout.  I can't recommend this product more highly!  We have two other bathrooms that are in line to be remodeled, too, and we will definitely be using this product again.  

Esteemed Contributor

We installed one of those 3 piece surrounds in our downstairs shower simply because it was so huge and ceramic tile was not budget friendly. If I had known that we were going  to use that shower daily I would have revided  the budget. The surround is difficult to keep clean. It doesn't seem to matter what product you use to shower with or clean with it never comes glossy clean. The best product I have found that works the best is "Wet & Forget" cleaner. (QVC) Every other week I'll spray the "scrubbing bubbles" on it to work on the stubborn soap scum marks and that makes it tolerable for me. I've also had a shower door on it  and now replaced it with just a shower curtain. Believe it or not the shower curtain is actually working better than the door. The soap scum on the shower door was a mess. Now, I know I'm a bit of a cleaning "nut" but I tile is just so much easier to maintain. (especially if you have a steamer) 

Honored Contributor

I have 3 sheets of vinyl around my shower base in the master bath, and around my tub in the main bath.   The finish is smooth, and easy to clean.   I use a spray bottle of white vinegar, water, and a few drops of dish detergent to keep the shower clean.   If you spray 1-2x a week from the beginning, there is no major cleaning. 

Durable duroc board is installed over the wall studs, behind these vinyl panels to provide a waterproof environment.   A one piece surround is usually molded vinyl, or fiberglass, and just would not be my choice for a new bathroom.   These can be damaged so easily in transport and any crack in them will mean leakage in the future.

Honored Contributor

I would never change my mind about home repairs based on the remarks here due to they are consistently highly inaccurate. Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I would never change my mind about home repairs based on the remarks here due to they are consistently highly inaccurate. Woman Surprised

@ID2   Posters are relating their experiences with their personal home repairs. Everyone has different homes and what is good for one type of home may not be good for others.

However, I would rather get advice from posters here rather than some strangers on a website who leave reviews. 

Honored Contributor

@srgtdj---my shower was formica panels when we built it and 33 years ago; the way  of waterproofing were not what they are today---so just silicone to seal the pieces in the corners ,  which leaked and caused the sheetrock to ripple and then pull the formica away from the wall--had many silicone applications done. So it will be gutted to the studs and new back board installed. Will have all virgin walls to deal with, no tiles to worry about.