Honored Contributor

Re: ? about just getting new cabinet door fronts

@wagirl ....if the doors did not get damaged...

When I had some small renos done on my bath room, the contractor removed my vanity, and had it painted in a high gloss black...allI did was change the knobs/handles,but the doors were in good shape.

If you do paint, make sure there is a top coat put on the vanity...or every finger print will show up, and he also raised the vanity up a little....the new height made a huge difference.

Honored Contributor

I have refreshed bathroom vanities and kitchen cabinets with new doors.  I purchased them online. ,just measure your doors and order the same size.  If you are going to paint the vanity, get unfinished doors.

i few years ago, the main bathroom got a refresh.  I tried to get a new vanity, but there was nothing out there to fit in the space.  I cleaned my old vanity, sanded it, applied a primer and then painted it with latex, then topped it with poly.

it turned out beautiful.  Everyone thought it was brand new.  I got a new quartz counter and new sink.  It hasn't chipped or got damaged at all.

I am going to refresh the bath in the master bath next.  I looked at new vanities and most are junk compared to what I have.  I am thinking of replacing the doors. I want a different style and painting it.

It's an easy DIY.  My husband did move the vanity  to the garage so I had room to paint. I took the doors and drawer fronts and hardware off first.

Honored Contributor

We replaced the sinks and countertops in our last house with marble tops and undermount sinks and it was great.  Vanities come in all sorts of ways from custom to whole units.  There are lots of possibilities.

Honored Contributor

I had a complete kitchen & bath remodel last year.

I did all my research.  we originally thought we would just "reface" with new doors.  Turns out material used for this process is called "thermofoil".  It's like a heavy duty contact paper process and stains, and heat will cause it to crimp/peel after time  but what surprised me was the price!  

Decided on full wood Innovations self-closing cabinets & pot drawers.  These were cheaper than refacing by almost $1000.

Since the cabinets being replaced were cheap particleboard track house quality🙃 as soon as they started demo of them -- they cracked and crumbled.  Glad we went with new cabinets!

Imo for bathroom I'd go for real wood or newer versions you can buy at HD Lowe's or any kitchen/bath store.  They come one piece & u choose the vanity top.  We bought at HD each vanity with top was $798.00.  We needed 37"  with higher cabinet. 

Honored Contributor

This is your one chance you'll probably get for everything new! Dump the old cabinets and get new. I surely would renovate my entire upstairs and still keep my old, tired bathroom cabinets. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I just had a new countertop put in in my kitchen.  When they took off the old countertop, I was able to see the inside of the cabinets and I have to say the framing looks old and dried out and a lot of the corner pieces came off as the glue dried out after 25 years.

So for me, I think it would depend on how old the cabinet is before I decided whether to just replace the doors.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all, for your responses! Yes I  am keeping the vanity bases---they fit prefectly ---- but the doors are formica with that wooden strip on the top. I HATE  THEM!!!!  Doors are standard sizes. Will get new counter tops too--they are formica-----I HATE FORMICA---it's all over my 33 year old house. I want it gone!!! So will sit with contractor to see what he says--there are insurance restrictions that we must abide by too. Such a hassel!!!