Honored Contributor

Re: ? about counter top material

[ Edited ]

Sorry, can't help. My choice has been, is and will be laminate... Not into stone counter tops for the kitchen... For the bathrooms, yes to stone, but have no preference for one over the other so would probably select from among those offering the best pricing...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl, I agree with @Fressa on the colour.  I have had Corian for13 years in kitchen and bath.  I have the colour Linen in the kitchen and it looks like the day it was installed.  I have a black stripe as a sandwich color along the front edging to match my black appliances.  I like to be able to see that the counters are clean and it is easy with this color.  I had dark countertops prior to this and wouldn’t do it again.

I went more organic looking in the bath with a colour called thyme or rosemary which is a beautiful soft green with ginger contrast to match my natural cherry cabinets.  The great thing about Corian is that scratches can be buffed out if necessary.

Good luck with your choices!  LM

Honored Contributor

We have granite kitchen counters.  They are beautiful but very expensive (went with a grade 4).  I have a small kitchen and it was right around $4000. The one thing I have really had to get used to is you have to be more careful with your dishes or you will be breaking them!  You can't be clanging anything glasswear down hard on them.  Just keep that in mind.  With that said, I have gotten used to being more careful (after breaking a few cups).  I originally had Formica picked out but when DH saw this big slab of granite.....well, he just had to have it so I caved.  We do get a lot of compliments on it.  Have you looked at a finished Formica countertop?  I think you would be surprised.  DD just put one in last week and it is beautiful!

Honored Contributor

I would choose stainless steel. That is indestructible.

Respected Contributor

If you go with granite or quartz, you have to be careful what level it is, when we redid our kitchen 15 years ago I didn't know there where different levels of quality and got the cheaper level and it didn't hold up.  I also picked a dark color which showed everything.  When we built our retirement home I picked quartz and a higher grade level and I'm very happy with it.  It's a lighter too, which makes a difference, for me anyway.  It's all about personal choice and as long as you do your homework, you'll be fine.  I think soapstone and concrete are also beautiful choices but I think they're even more expensive than granite or quartz, not sure since I never priced them.

Sorry about the tree falling on your house, that must've have been a really terrifying experience.

Honored Contributor

A huge thank you for your input-------exactly what I needed to hear! Yes I am prob jumping the gun and will wait until the much more pressing things get addressed, you know---like a whole new roof, ceilings, sheetrock, electrical, lights-----oh my head hurts----

Yes this whole "adventure" has been very stressful as I was in the room that the 110 ft tree fell on---and I was injured by the falling debris but not the tree itself----duhSmiley Tongue who  would be writing now????

1---Yes I would go with light colors for a counter top. 

2---NO---never in a milion years will go for any formica/laminate---been living with that for 32 years and HATE it.

thanks to you all

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know my opinion will be laughed at but I don't care. When we bought our house, we had a designer come in and completely redo our kitchen. At the time I did not cook much. We ate out or did take out most nights. 

I really liked the choices of formica. So we got formica counters. Well, years have passed and we are looking into having the kitchen redone. The flooring needs replacing and the cabinets are still in great shape but the style is dated. And I will definately check out formica for the counters. My counters are in excellent condition. They look as nice today as the day they were installed.

And after seeing the troubles my friends have gone through with their high end counter tops. I will stick with something that is durable and easy to clean.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl    We have granite in our kitchen.   We seal it once a year.  I just use a stone cleaner for daily cleanup.  In the bathroom we have corian countertops.  Love them both,  

Respected Contributor

If doing granite us over improving for the area, Formica always looks nice. My Formica was installed over 30 years ago and the kitchen designer suggested something light in color but with a slight marbling effect so any imperfections down the road wouldn’t stand out. I think that was good advice. It looks clean, can clean easily, and a few knife point boo-boos aren’t standing out.
Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom--I really don't know if  granite would be over doing---still no idea what will be re built  as the holidays have put a crimp in things by people not being around.  But no way will I do formica any where---as that is what I have on all my cabinet fronts as well as the shower surround and all counter tops. I HATE it !!!! Have had the same ones for 32 years and I am done with it. think I will go with a designer that works with a contractor to pick his/her brains. Did this all on my own when we built this place but won't do that again.