Honored Contributor

Re: Your first house you brought?

Our first home was a used 2 bedroom mobile home that cost $7,000.   We paid it off in 4 years and lived in for 6.   The mobile home sat exactly where our house sits today; we just had it pulled forward enough to make room to dig our foundation, and lived in it for the 3 months it took to build our house.   I loved the layout of our mobile home and enjoyed our time there.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We are still living in our first house. Built it mostly ourselves in 1980 and could not afford it if we wanted to buy it today. It's been remodeled and added on to, but we love where we live(in the woods), plenty of parking and no neighbors.

Esteemed Contributor

1978. Ranch in suburbs. $24K. Fixer upper. Husband temporarily transferred to Lancaster, PA for 9 months after we purchased home. I didn't want to give up a great job for his temporary transfer so I stayed and he traveled back every two weeks. It's not that I didn't like the house -- I didn't like the situation. When he returned, we sold home and moved into more manageable, new townhouse. He played a lot of softball, went to grad school and played golf while working 40+ hours. Nice idea, but we didn't have time for a fixer upper. I liked the townhouse. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our first house was a Cape Cod style on Long Island.  We were so excited to bring my dad to see it.  He had tears in his eyes, not the happy kind, and looked upset. I said, "Dad, we knew it was a fixer upper" and he replied, "We've got some fixin' up to do before you can say that".

I should mention, it was a 1200 sq foot disaster zone and we paid $152,000 in 1989.  We sold it for $260,000 in 2001.

After 12 years of blood, sweat and tears... mostly mine, because DH was busy building a career... that house sold in one day. The woman who bought it had a deposit on the house down the street, but when she saw mine she changed her mind.  She said it was "just so charming and warm".

I doubt if she knew that the furniture was all yard sale refurbished and the handiwork was learn-as-you-go on my part.  I guess I did a pretty good job :-)

levittown house 2001.jpg

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

My first house was a brand new townhouse in Lincoln Park in Chicago.  Wood floors on the 1st floor, carpet in the bedrooms.    White cabinets and a black & white tiles on the floor.  You buy townhomes when you are young because the up and down stairs gets old really quick.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Ours was a five room ranch with a garage. New in a development. Our neighbors were all young and just starting out. Seventeen thousand dollars. A long time ago. We were the first to move. It was hard but we out grew the house. 

Respected Contributor

Our first house was a 3 bdrm, 2 bath Victorian in the suburbs. I loved that house. We didn't want to go the starter house route, so we worked and saved for 3 years to purchase a forever home. We would still be there if not for job moving.  Wood floors, tin ceilings, beautiful moldings, Juliette staircase, fireplace. Perfection. It had a nice sized backyard for my rose garden and veggie garden (even though it was fenced the bunnies still got in to nibble on my asparagus!). It was in a community of older homes. Mature trees and bushes. Everyone kept their properties well maintained. I'd love to see if the present owner(the man that bought it from us in the early 80's) has changed it at all. Good memories there. But good memories in all our homes.

Respected Contributor

I did go back and a friend I knew asked the owner if we could go inside explaining that I once owned the house. Big difference once inside and for me not a good one. Bright colors on the walls and other changes. The owners seem very happy with their decorating guess that's all that matters. I just like to remember how it was when I lived there but then again it's my memories not theirs.

Honored Contributor

My hubs bought the first house in 1975, I think-----1100sq foot rambler for $15,000. It was a FHA repo. Had a huge square of the carpeting in the livingroom cut out. We got married Dec of that year. Had 2 kids there-- remodeled  and added garage, sold it 10 years later for $70,000. Hubs is a carpenter so did most all himself. Moved on and built house in 1986 and are still here.

Regular Contributor

We bought our first home in 1981 when we got married. 1450 sf ranch in Phoenix solidly built. We took such pride in that house. It had a huge grass yard. Hubby kept that grass green and pristine. We did a lot of improvements. We're in our fifth and final house. We went really big and have gone small. I still miss that little house. Over the years I've had vivid dreams about living there again. The wonderful thing is that the people that bought it from us still live there. I drive by every few years and it is still immaculate. It hasn't been sold since 1989 when we sold it. They've replaced the enormous front lawn with desert landscape but some of the original trees and palms are still there.