Esteemed Contributor

Your favorite art piece displayed in your home

[ Edited ]

Do you have a favorite wall art original,  print or item displayed in your home? My treausre is a Paul Landry print we framed and have had for decades. On a road trip, hubs & I stopped at Amana Colonies. We saw a barn print in a shop and at the same time said -- 'looks like my grandfather's old barn.'  Being my birthday month, hubs ordered and shipped print to our home and surprised me on my birthday. Would love to hear about your art treasure.   Image result for landry artist barns

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Re: Your favorite art piece displayed in your home

I have a very large print of Picasso's Guernica that I bought at Ikea of all places.  It currently hangs above my fireplace in the family room.  My oldest DD loved that print growing up and it inspried her to study art history in high school which led to her majoring in it college and going on to get her master's in heritage studies at Cambridge. 

Honored Contributor

I have 3 Itzchak Tarkays which we got at art auctions on cruises.  Love them!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, when the American dollar had great value against the euro, my husband and I visited Venice. We took a tour of Morano and visited several art glass galleries. We purchased a gorgeous piece that looks like a scene below water. It's large and gorgeous. I could never afford it now. I'm just glad that I had the common sense to take advantage of the value of the dollar.

Respected Contributor

My son painted a picture of a place we went on vacation. He did it in middle school and I adore it. 

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake I love that. Both sets of my grandparents were farmers so that brings back happy memories.  
I have this Indian toran on my wall. 5E5C9B82-2C65-4CE2-B3C3-4A91A130159A.jpeg

Honored Contributor

If I could park my car in the living room like Dan Tanna in Vega$, I WOULD.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Sort of an "Art Piece" by now, we have a wedding gift table in our living room, and it is the perfect spot for our Peacock Red Carnival Glass Lamp, also a wedding gift, we think.

They are NOT rare, but the colors are beautiful, and the very fact that it survived in the parlor, protected from my rambunctious mother and her 6 equally rambunctious brothers and sisters make it pretty artsy to me!

Honored Contributor

What a wonderful, treasured piece of art so thoughtfully obtained for you by your hubby, @jeanlake !

Hard to narrow down, but I'll show two of mine.  The first is an old, rather battered print of "The Soul's Awakening" by British painter James Sant, that I found in an antique store.  I can't photograph it, but here's the same print I found online, (different frame from mine, of course):

the-soul-s-awakening-old-print-in-an-antique-gesso-frame-195-spokane-americanlisted_27472653.jpg

I love it for the subject matter of a young girl coming to faith, clutching what seems to be a small Testament.  You can't see it here, but the hands, especially, are beautifully rendered.  Sant used his great-neice as a model, I understand.

Then, I also love modern art and abstracts, so here's an online picture of a large print I have of French Cubist painter Robert Delaunay.  I think it's called "Couleure Rhythme" or "Rhythme Couleure" or something like that!

BSM-SDV-83261-2T.jpg

Mine isn't double matted, just a single white mat around it with black frame,  but it is oversize and is immediately noticeable in my living room....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jeanlake 

Since having entire interior house painted a couple years ago I removed many paintings and prints and have really been enjoying the negative space since then.

Even though it's a simple laundry room I smile when I go in now instead of previous wall and space clutter.  Sort of Georgia O'Keefe ish.

lau.jpg