Frequent Contributor

Your Tablescapes & Other Decor: Do You Crowd Items or Use Less?

It seems most holiday decorating entails a lot of items most places.  Do you prefer this style (like VPH ) or use less?  I know some of the stage settings are for selling the products, but I wonder if there are those who like something else.  How do you do your holiday decorating?   

Honored Contributor

Re: Your Tablescapes & Other Decor: Do You Crowd Items or Use Less?

Great question.

I have some vignettes that are 'crowded' as it were, and some that are very sparse.

I would love to get to the point in my life where I did just some simple candles, a few greens and a couple of wreaths and be done with it. 

It is more my physical state anymore that is dampening my spirit. It is hard for me to get the various decorating done in a timely manner with two bum knees, and a heel that is in need of surgery. 

If I could operate pain free ( or with considerably less), I'd not mind all the work and be able to get it done in a more realistic time frame. 

I do know that I am done with decor, for the most part. I have more for every season than is reasonable, and with it getting harder to change it out, I really will be considering doing more with less in the future.

Honored Contributor

Of course Valerie uses a lot of decorations, she's selling stuff.  Plus the set is huge, it requires a lot.  We should decorate our homes in a manner that pleases us.   I don't go overboard, I don't feel the need to put decorations in every corner, on every wall, on every table.  I don't care for clutter.  I like a theme and a color scheme and I decorate lightly.   I have friends who pile it on and their homes look bright and festive.  There's no right or wrong.  

Super Contributor

I agree with @Mominohio. I have accumulated a lot of decorations and try to use them.  I think it would easier to decorate and store if I had a few larger items rather than a lot of small things. 

Respected Contributor

Hi @TNRatPack - I like to decorate with pops of items here and there, just 2 or 3 pieces to give me the impact I want without being overwhelming.  I go VERY basic for my dinner table because it has to be easily moved when everyone gets together for dinner.  While I enjoy looking at the full designs down the table-top that Valerie does, it would only work in a situation where everyone is served a plate already prepared and then someone ends up having to hop up and down to serve the 2nds.  The center of my holiday table during meals is decorated with the serving plates and bowls filled with our favorite holiday foods - family style dining.

Trusted Contributor

Aside from the holidays, my decorating style is very minimalistic and modern.  When it comes to the holidays, I lean toward the overcrowded style of decorating.  I like an excessive, opulent look.    

Frequent Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Hi @TNRatPack - I like to decorate with pops of items here and there, just 2 or 3 pieces to give me the impact I want without being overwhelming.  I go VERY basic for my dinner table because it has to be easily moved when everyone gets together for dinner.  While I enjoy looking at the full designs down the table-top that Valerie does, it would only work in a situation where everyone is served a plate already prepared and then someone ends up having to hop up and down to serve the 2nds.  The center of my holiday table during meals is decorated with the serving plates and bowls filled with our favorite holiday foods - family style dining.

I hear you on the tabletops.   In our family we serve holiday dinners with every darn food item on the table so the decor is limited.  Last year was hysterical.  Most dishes are passed around the table so people can take exactly what they want, however I forgot the dinner rolls,  so my niece got them from the oven and proceeded to actually toss everyone a roll.  At first I was stunned and then laughed.  It was so funny to see my quite elderly aunt actually catch hers with one hand while eating some cranberry sauce.  I do love the look though of an elegantly set table with pretty decor.  Like someone said before,  there's no right or wrong,  just whatever suits you.  

Frequent Contributor

@PeterDM wrote:

Aside from the holidays, my decorating style is very minimalistic and modern.  When it comes to the holidays, I lean toward the overcrowded style of decorating.  I like an excessive, opulent look.    

@PeterDM  I also favor the minimalistic look for our home, both my DH and I have always liked it, but sometimes the holidays just make you want to do just the opposite.   

Honored Contributor

I agree with some of you, especially mominohio, who said that over the years, due to collecting lots of items (some of which I just HAD to have), that now I have more than enough.  The other factor is that, if you have any sort of disability or condition that makes life difficult, then decorating is going to be more difficult, including the retrieval and the putting it back (provided you have space).

I can no longer maneuver a lot of things the same way I used to so all my Christmas items sit, year round, on my stair landing in a big box.  No one sees it, but it's too much trouble to put it into the storage area upstairs every year.  

And since I've collected a lot, my house is "countrified," (though some would say cluttered!).  That's probably why my favorite store in the whole world was "Elegant Clutter."  I'm waiting for that store to re-open.  It was a place to simply feel good whether you bought anything or not.  Even though a lot of stuff isn't for everybody, I like it quite a bit.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@TNRatPack wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

I hear you on the tabletops.   In our family we serve holiday dinners with every darn food item on the table so the decor is limited.  Last year was hysterical.  Most dishes are passed around the table so people can take exactly what they want, however I forgot the dinner rolls,  so my niece got them from the oven and proceeded to actually toss everyone a roll.  At first I was stunned and then laughed.  It was so funny to see my quite elderly aunt actually catch hers with one hand while eating some cranberry sauce.  I do love the look though of an elegantly set table with pretty decor.  Like someone said before,  there's no right or wrong,  just whatever suits you.  

@TNRatPack

THIS is what memories are made of! Made me laugh, and it will be part of the fabric of family lore to everyone who was there. I love when the unexpected fun inserts itself into our lives. What a great memory, and thanks for sharing it with us.