Honored Contributor

Re: Your Kitchen and Bathroom Ideas

@Hoovermom ---WOW--that sounds amazing----my last kitchen was small but I did get new pot lights in there---would have done what you are doing but at a much smaller scale---bet you are giddy!!!

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Hoovermom ---WOW--that sounds amazing----my last kitchen was small but I did get new pot lights in there---would have done what you are doing but at a much smaller scale---bet you are giddy!!!

@wagirl :  I am so giddy!!!!  We've been in this house for 20 years and am a little behind in doing these things due to family issues.....but now is the time.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Anything that isn't grey.   Anything that isn't granite.  I'm so sick of both of those.   

We are house hunting and every house we've gone in that has been recently 'updated' has been grey and granite.  Granite has been around sine the 90's.  Not hardly updated, IMO.   More like same ole, same ole.  

Show some originality.  I"m interested in crushed glass countertops, for one thing.   Other than a deep big farmhouse type sink, I can't think of anything from the past I'd want to bring back.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Anything that isn't grey.   Anything that isn't granite.  I'm so sick of both of those.   

We are house hunting and every house we've gone in that has been recently 'updated' has been grey and granite.  Granite has been around sine the 90's.  Not hardly updated, IMO.   More like same ole, same ole.  

Show some originality.  I"m interested in crushed glass countertops, for one thing.   Other than a deep big farmhouse type sink, I can't think of anything from the past I'd want to bring back.

Not so much interested in crushed glass counters but SO agree that grey and granite (and I'd add stainless steel) stopped being 'fresh' at least twenty years ago.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I loved the harvest gold or avocado appliance colors. I wish they would come back. I'm sick of stainless. 

Honored Contributor

I love granite and if I ever do a kitchen over again, I'm positive I'd get granite.

I'm not wild about all granite, there's some that look like *bad freckling* with the same pattern throughout.

Some are just so pretty, they are pieces of art.  I have a slab on my island that reminds me of a tidal pool on the beach.

I have quartz in my master bath and although I like it, I don't love it.  I have marble in a powder room and that I do like, but it's a small countertop and it's a cream color--no white or gray in it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Im also tired of the gray/granite and the sleek industrial/modern look..... JMHO.....

I love vintage look kitchens....I like the "pull out" in the Cleaver's kitchen

Classic Movie Hub on Twitter: "June Cleaver didn't keep her house in  perfect order, the prop man did it. -Barbara Billingsley… "

Leave It to Beaver (1957-1963) | Leave it to beaver, Beaver, Television show

Papermoon Loves Lucy — “Job Switching”

LOVE THIS---

Happy Days Farm | Love decorating my kitchen for Valentine's Day. #kitchen  #valentinedecor #farmhouse #kohler #whitekitchen #ballarddesigns  #homeinterior

BUT I always hated the 70's look and hated The Brady Bunch's House, especially that kitchen....

Can You Match these 5 Kitchens to Their 1970's TV Shows? | DoYouRemember?

dn6cU-1485900299-214-quiz_question_image_-kitchens_1.png

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

The old kitchen featured here reminds me of my family home's kitchen when it would have been new.  Over the years, the wood darkened a lot (or was stained) and of course got grungy (60+ years).  Instead of a red formica countertop we had faux marble with aluminum trim - and not a crack in it after all that time.

I do prefer a retro kitchen, but it all depends on your home.  If you have one large open area that houses your kitchen/living area/dining room (like I do), things have to mesh with one another looking at the room as a whole.  I'd love a large claw foot tub in the bathroom.  I love the old-style crystal chandeliers.  I'd love to make some lighting changes but finding an electrician to do the work would be challenging where I live.  Its taking almost 2 months time just to get a storm door installed.  Spring will be over!!  Oh well...

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

This is a redone retro kitchen (a Victorian home).  If you have not seen it, I think many of you might enjoy her channel on U Tube.   Do a search for Summer kitchen tour, my soulful home 

Frequent Contributor

At least I have June Cleaver's push-button stovetop!  😜