Respected Contributor

Your Kitchen and Bathroom Ideas

What new or reinvented vintage ideas would you like to see in kitchens and/or bathrooms?

I'm not asking what you think of my idea or current trends. Judging with personal taste is easy.

I am asking for imagination and what new or updated ideas do you have or what you think might be coming. It might be about lighting, appliances, wallpaper, faucets, whatever. What could be next?

Kitchen and Bathroom styles continuously change and sometimes get to feel outdated. Lately, I've been thinking that sooner or later all the stone counters, white cabinets, tiled showers, etc. will go the same way as their predecessors and eventually seem stale.

One new alternative I thought of was a twist on these vintage countertops while keeping the vintage origin.

image.png

I thought of new patterns (small geometric, small leaves, tiny metallic lines or shapes on black/cobalt/forest green or other colors, new colors beyond gray/turquoise/red, and maybe utilizing a more substantial material.

I thought the trim could be done in copper, brushed nickel or stainless or brass.

It could give the kitchen color, be subtle, be affordable for more people, and be a new kitchen trend for a few years.

Valued Contributor

Re: Your Kitchen and Bathroom Ideas

I love the old cast iron sinks with the drain boards. My grandma had one. 

sink1.jpgsink2.jpg

Honored Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

I love the old cast iron sinks with the drain boards. My grandma had one. 

sink1.jpgsink2.jpg

@CritterKeeper  I like that too.  For me, that is a real farmhouse sink.  That's what we had in our large farmhouse at my grandmother's.

Honored Contributor

That's a great topic, @Desert Lily !   I love those enameled cast iron sinks you mention, @CritterKeeper ,  and have considered taking ours from our basement and trying to install upstairs in kitchen.  Too ambitious for us to undertake, ha.  But Paige at the online site "Farmhouse Vernacular" sourced one, and installed it in their kitchen.  She loves it, although it does take some special care.

This isn't anything new, but I love the soapstone counters of yore.   So earthy and beautiful, especially in old-house kitchens.   Also find some of the European metal cabinetry very interesting, which you don't see often here.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

That's a great topic, @Desert Lily !   I love those enameled cast iron sinks you mention, @CritterKeeper ,  and have considered taking ours from our basement and trying to install upstairs in kitchen.  Too ambitious for us to undertake, ha.  But Paige at the online site "Farmhouse Vernacular" sourced one, and installed it in their kitchen.  She loves it, although it does take some special care.

This isn't anything new, but I love the soapstone counters of yore.   So earthy and beautiful, especially in old-house kitchens.   Also find some of the European metal cabinetry very interesting, which you don't see often here.

@Oznell 

I love the soapstone counters and investigated that as an option to granite (which I do not particularly care for although it is a good material), and nobody in my area was familiar with how it was done.  

Esteemed Contributor

Give me a porcelain over cast iron sink any day! Those double drainboard sinks of the 1940's can fetch $2,000 + on the bay and that doesn't include refinishing.

Laminate countertops and polished cotton/chintz curtains in tangerine orange would love, love. How 'bout ruffled priscillas in the kitchen?

I'm so bored with no color, no style, no individual looks! 

Honored Contributor

image.png

I love this window.  I've always liked a window over my kitchen sink so I could look out at whatever while I'm washing dishes.

I do have a nice big window but no real view.  I like that this window has a spot for little pots of something.  Perfect for basil, rosemary and such.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

There is a new HGTV show called No Demo Reno that I have watched lately. the host removates houses without tearing anything down and re building it--I really like that concept--so expensive to completely gut everything to re build it again. Just spruce up the things that you dislike---i had a kitchen , a master bath and a powder room that just needed updating--that would have been great to re-do those--maybe I would have stayed put--but I sold the house and moved . 

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

There is a new HGTV show called No Demo Reno that I have watched lately. the host removates houses without tearing anything down and re building it--I really like that concept--so expensive to completely gut everything to re build it again. Just spruce up the things that you dislike---i had a kitchen , a master bath and a powder room that just needed updating--that would have been great to re-do those--maybe I would have stayed put--but I sold the house and moved . 

@wagirl :  I love that show also and am doing that for my kitchen redo........getting a new gas stove, new countertops (quartz) and having all of my kitchen cabinets (tons of them) repainted, a border around my kitchen removed, all new painted walls, baseboards and moulding, and installed all new hardware on doors/cabinets/sink, etc. in the new "gold" hardware and all new kitchen lighting.  No tearing out of any walls because my kitchen is huge and just tweaking it.  I struggled with removing my corian countertops since they look brand new even after 20 years but gave in LOL.   I am having a hood vent installed above the gas stove which will necessitate removing two cabinets that are there presently, but no drywall involved.  I am excited.....

Honored Contributor

The second home we owned had lipstick red countertops.  Don't even know if it was formica as the house was circa 1920s.  

The cabinet they have to the right of the sink reminds me of one our kitchen had, it was aluminum inside and had bins for potatoes and onions and such.

That kitchen also had an iron board built in behind a cute door, you just opened the door and pulled the board down.  Although at the time I still ironed my kids school uniforms, we switched it around and made it a spice and condiment cabinet.  I don't even know where my iron is anymore?

I still wear aprons, just not white ones.  Or with poodles.