Honored Contributor

Re: Wow! I learned something about hand made quilts.

it's a craft & talent to do them. Both my friends are in late 80s and belong to quilter club. They have made some breathtaking quilts. The ladies told me their works are shown at "juried" shows & both of them have been judges during craft festivals. 

Truly a art & something one keeps to hand down I'm sure. My family was bakers so although I love to sew I'm more a decorator & baker (used to own catering & baking business).

Super Contributor

it's a good thing I was not a pioneer woman... waiting for my quilt

to be done to keep me warm on the prairie....

it would not have been pretty ....

Respected Contributor

Can you take a pic so we can see it? Pleeeease?? Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

Every quilt I've ever made was done by hand.  No machine quilting here!  Lately I've done more baby quilts (shower gifts) than anything else.  My grandmother and her neighbors taught me.  

Honored Contributor

IMG_1860.JPG

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

IMG_1860.JPG

Wow!!!   That's beautiful!   Love the colors.   It would look awesome in my living room.  Enjoy that special piece.  Thanks for posting pics!

Esteemed Contributor

Such a lovely quilt.  Lots of work there and such beautifully matched soft colors.  She is good!

My MIL had a large back room where she hung quilting rods and made quilts, just for bedding.  I have actually done some of it and it is tedious.  The quilting is difficult enough and that is done after the quilt top is constructed.  They are a lot of work, but they last forever!

Honored Contributor

Wow!!... that's really beautiful!!  I love the colors and it looks like it fits in with your style because of the whitewash farmhouse looking piece of furniture that looks wonderful next to it.

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
You should see the little hexagon penny quilts. They are thousands of tiny hexagon pieces and are usually don't by hand. Then there are the ones that are more fine art because of the applique and thread painting/embroidery techniques that really make them fine art. We are talking tens of thousands of dollars worth of work, not just art value.

@Tigriss  I had one of these hexagon quilts but gave it to my sister as she has two daughters and I have no one.  I wasn't using it so told her to take it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A handmade quilt is a labor of love.

I piece them on the machine but they are all hand quilted.

I only make crib quilts or lap sized now, no more bigger ones and I gift them then they are finished.

I give them with the intention that they will be used, washed, dried and loved, not folded and put away on a closet shelf.  

My only two stipulations when I do gift them - don't put them in bleach water and don't put them in the dog crate!