Honored Contributor

Would your home be styled differently if you didn't share it with a spouse or s/o?

I tend to lean towards shades of white and soft pastels... cozy furniture that you sink into and very girly patterns and accessories.  Of course, having shared my home with DH for the past 40 years, there have been lots and lots of compromises.  I plan to keep him around as long as possible, but that doesn't stop me from daydreaming about how I'd decorate if I didn't have to consider his opinions and lifestyle.

Would your house be different if you didn't share it?

How so?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Would your home be styled differently if you didn't share it with a spouse or s/o?

Naw, not really. My dh and I are a great team. Everyone that sees our home asks who our interior designer was? I guess that's a good sign, eh? Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would your home be styled differently if you didn't share it with a spouse or s/o?

Boy @house_cat  that's a good question. So, I am looking around and I think it would be the same. DH and I love earth tones and solid fabric. No flowers or patterns. We are not matchy matchy either. Never comprised on a furniture purchase. I guess we are pretty boring. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣  

Trusted Contributor

My place would be different, not because of a spouse, but because I live in rent.  I must have blinds at the window, cannot have newer appliances, am not allowed to paint the walls, and cannot change the carpeting.  So, while my furniture would be close to the same, so much does not reflect me.

Esteemed Contributor

The only difference would be that my kitchen table would be cleared off! I only have a small antique table w/ lots of character.

All I ever want on it is my table runner and my fox snow globe.

Other than that, he seems happy to defer to my personal good taste in color schemes, and I just go w/ the character of the house and furniture.

Honored Contributor

Yes I think it would ..I would have less of everything and lighter colors.

That being said I wouldn't trade anything in the world for my grandkids little messy hands and my husbands STUFF.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   It would be exactly the same. My husband lets me do whatever I choose in the house....thankfully! He has his study and also his man cave/workshop. 

Honored Contributor

No, not at all. My husband is a great decorator, and really enjoys it, and our styles and tastes are very very similar......People are always complimenting him on his decorating skills. lol! 

I keep telling him when he retires, he has a part time job-home decor....lol!

Respected Contributor

My husband and I have different taste and style in just about everything.  He likes browns and blues and a lot of oak.  I like open and airy, bright and light.  Been leaning more transitional to almost contemporary.  We've done a lot of remodeling and updating on our home and I must admit he has let me take the reigns in most of what we've done and picked out.  Either his style is changing (doubtful) or I'm wearing him down.  LOL!

Honored Contributor

My late husband was way better of designing everything.

He designed our house.  That worked for me.

I find all of it boring.  I like the physical aspects of designing.

What I mean is I enjoy painting, wallpapering, things like that.

From the day the furniture goes into the house (where it's put) it stays there forever.

We had a house fire in 2001.  We had to buy (courtesy of the insurance company) new furniture.

He picked out (with me OKing it) the furniture.

If I do suggest anything, it's done.  Probably because then he knows I feel strongly about it.

He and I were total opposites.  But there was an immediate attraction.  We were married in less than 3 months of the night we met.

We were married for 38 years when he died suddenly.  If he was alive we'd have been married   55 years.