Honored Contributor

Re: Would you still use your pots and pans after mice get on them?

@Allegheny wrote:

@Venezia 

Tell me more about the model of Victor Electronic trap you use.  I did look it up there appears to be so many models.  We would be using in the garage and a patio area under our deck.  Thank you.

@Allegheny- One thing to note about these traps, they have to be in a dry area because of the batteries.  If they get wet, you'll very likely ruin the trap.  I'm not sure what you're planning regarding under your deck, but keep that in mind.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia 

Thanks for the reminder.  My DH and I debated that and figured it wouldn't be a good idea putting them outside.  That area is just used for storing my gardening supplies in the summer so a mouse or two hanging around didn't bother us.  That was until one we purchased a UTV.  We put out bate traps and wouldn't you know, a mouse got in the cab of the UTV and died.  We never did find the body but the odor lingered for months.  Yuck.

I was telling my husband that I was getting leary that we may have some mice based on some nose I had heard in the laundry room.  He told me I was imagining things.  Well watching TV last evening, a mouse scurried across the floor.  Then we saw another one in the kitchen.  Out came our traditional traps.  Today I ordered two of the Victor M250s and more traditional traps.  Then he brought up one of the bate traps.

Tomorrow we pulling out the washer/dry and stuffing steel wool in any crevices we find. 

Valued Contributor

Well, it turns out the squeaking I kept hearing Sat. night was not one caught in a trap but still alive. Instead the noise was from a bunch of babies. All Sat. night, I continued to hear the racket, and several times I saw the mice running around. I've never had so much activity. I went upstairs and stayed there, quite upset and scared. I stayed awake all night until 6 a.m., waiting to call Orkin when they opened. Turns out they're not actually open, just their call center. I then called a relative of mine who came over to help me.

He examined all of Orkin's traps, and they hadn't caught a thing. Did find one baby dead in one of my traps and another live one running around, which as my relative tried to catch him, managed to run into another of my traps. Two babies down. He thoroughly checked everywhere for mice since you could still hear them, and he actually found a nest (no mice in it though). After cleaning that out, he set some more traps. Later that night, I found another dead baby in, again, my traps, and about 20 minutes later, another one. That make 5 babies all together. I hope that's it for the babies, but if it is, what about the adults still. It just gets me that Orkin's traps aren't catching anything and that he didn't find the nest. Think I might have wasted my money with them. I'll have to wait and see.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper   You seem to not want to use poison, but it will definitely get rid of your problem.  I never saw a mouse again after they put the poison out.  The poison is in plastic containers.  They put it in places pets couldn't get it anyway.  I would call a different company and ask for the poison traps.  They should definitely have been able to find the nest.  I find it astounding that for as big a problem as you have they didn't use the poison blocks.

Also, they absolutely have to find the hole where they are entering and seal it.

I don't think a pest control company should even charge you to set traps that you could set yourself.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

If it was me I would toss them out and get new pots and pans.  Even if they were washed the thought of mice was in them is gross.

Valued Contributor

Go to a Home and Garden type store and buy some mouse deterrent also.  I bought a product called Fresh Cab and it works wonders to keep mice out of our cabin over the fall/winter/spring months until we go back to it in the summer. 

Valued Contributor

Will this ever end? This time I was going upstairs and there was one on the step. I won't go into what I had to go through to get him, but I have had it! This makes 6 babies with no sign of the mother (or maybe even other adults). The Orkin traps aren't doing a thing nor are the traps of mine they used with their bait on them. Oh, NickNack, I don't have any problem with poison. In fact, have some of that out, too. They are supposed to open at 6 this morning, so I'm going to call and insist they get out here and take care of this. I tired of being afraid to go into each and every room in this house.

Honored Contributor

On the bright side, they are looking for food.  You probably don't have any food residue stick to the inside of your pots and pans.  

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

Will this ever end? This time I was going upstairs and there was one on the step. I won't go into what I had to go through to get him, but I have had it! This makes 6 babies with no sign of the mother (or maybe even other adults). The Orkin traps aren't doing a thing nor are the traps of mine they used with their bait on them. Oh, NickNack, I don't have any problem with poison. In fact, have some of that out, too. They are supposed to open at 6 this morning, so I'm going to call and insist they get out here and take care of this. I tired of being afraid to go into each and every room in this house.

@qualityshopper   I hope you were able to get something done today.  I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this.  What did they do for you when you called?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

40 years ago when we built our house in the woods there were mice and bats everywhere inside the house, we had invaded their space. One time I opened the cutlery drawer and there sat a mouse on the utensils. I sanitized the utensils with bleach water, but I doubt if that was the first or the last time a field mouse sashayed his way across my kitchen stuff. We never got any kind of sickness so I guess they are not as filthy as we think.LOL