Honored Contributor

Re: Would you ever do this? (purging related)

[ Edited ]

let me tell you one big advantage of having a child or close relative there with the person trying to do the decluttering or purging other than it being FREE. they can be honest and tell the mom/grandmother/aunt/sister that they wont even want the items at a later date. when you tell them that they go into a bag or box pretty quickly to be donated or destroyed.....depending on what it is.

we also answer the phone when charities that pick up call. we always say we have something to donate. even if we dont have a box or bag already set up, it forces us to go through items and create a bag to give away.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't think I'd hire a professional because I think I do a good job purging.  My house is in order other than my clothes closet.  Once I get some time, it will be taken care of. 

I've helped my mother purge.  She needed a big push at first, but she's come around.  She realizes the less she has, the less she has to clean.  Every time I visit, we organize something and either bring things to goodwill or the garbage drop off station.  

Esteemed Contributor

No.......I pretty much clean and purge every Spring. If I don't have a place for it...out it goes...

Honored Contributor

Yes, I've had a former MIL who was a real estate broker. I was married to her Realtor son. Between the two of them I got a lot of help in what to keep around the house. It was like living in a constant 'staging' of a house for sale. Things were always being tossed or given away.  We always had new, but inexpensive trendy furniture and decor that got changed out more than most people would do. So yes, I had my fill of someone telling me what to keep and what to get rid of. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

There’s nothing in this house I would need a professionals help to purge.   I just need the help of the other 3 people who live here, to curb their buying, and storing of their stuff in my house, and sort thru what’s already here!  

The basement is the only area left for me to sort and purge, and I’m not tackling that job until my leg is fully healed, and I no longer have an open wound.   

Honored Contributor

As long as I am physically able to do it myself, then I do not need nor would I hire someone to do it for me. If at some point I am so disabled that I cannot, then, it's a possibility, but more than likely I would have relatives or good friends help me. I don't have a lot that I am so attached to that I could not let go, just a very few items and I already have planned who will receive those items when it is time to do so. All the rest is just "stuff".
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

wrote:

let me tell you one big advantage of having a child or close relative there with the person trying to do the decluttering or purging. they can be honest and tell the mom/grandmother/aunt/sister that they wont even want the items at a later date. when you tell them that they go into a bag or box pretty quickly to be donated or destroyed.....depending on what it is.

@sunshine45

So true!  Especially that they are honest! Case in point, I've been enjoying buying & shopping with my niece for their new home -- they came for a visit during holidays.  I had my Christmas decorations still up.  

I asked her to pick out what she'd like (my boys & their wives don't want).  Everything I thought she'd like she "didn't" but what she did love was all the VPH things (newer) & my newer gingerbread things.

I was glad she was honest with me because some of these Christmas decorations are 10+ years and what I think looks good they don't!  Then we went through my other things and she helped me purge "the good, bad & the ugly!" (LOL).

Her home is absolutely beautiful slowly getting furnished and decorated but mimimally 

She has a huge gourmet kitchen that we are enjoying shopping for baking, everyday things and more...Its been fun!  

I enjoy her input even if its too honest -- right down to my clothes!! LOL!!! (Nothing bad just cute they way she tells me "oh that's too OLD for you or " time for the garbage that's seen its day!")

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio

My grown daughter has had "stuff" in the upstairs of my home for years.  Finally, because I'll (at last) be moving sometime later this year, she hired a woman who came with an assistant to help her go through the accumulated books and clothes.  

I felt the woman was ruthless, so it wouldn't have worked for me personally but it helped her a lot.  All the stuffed animals went, too.  Kind of sad, but needed, of course.  She advised taking pictures of everything, and just keeping a token one or two special ones, whether stuffed animal or little girl dress, etc.

My daughter still has her schoolwork and other paperwork to go through.  She's made a start but it dates back to college, which was quite some time ago!

It was parts of two rooms, mostly books, and took from about 9-1 over the course of two days.  Much faster than it would have been doing it on our own.  Plus they did all the heavy lifting, which I can  no longer help with.

Good luck with whatever you decide. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

If I asked for objective suggestions on what to get rid of it would mean I can see the need to purge, but no longer have the emotional ability to easily assign value, and then detach from my accumulated stuff. I'd need a 'push' from someone who knows me and who's judgement I trust.
That is my impression of why your mom asks for your help.
Respected Contributor

I think purging an decluttering your home and closets is an extremely personal issue.  We didn't acquire all these items in a year or two, so it stands to reason it may take a while to get rid of what you don't need and no longer use. 

Donating, selling, consignment shops, and throwing away items you don't want, can't use, or don't have room for is something I could never turn over to someone else.  My husband and I are in downsizing right now and we are determined to finish it this year.  I do think you should pace yourself and be honest about whether you need the item or you have an emotional attachment.  It's tough to do.