Honored Contributor

Re: Would you ever do this? (purging related)

I definitely would not be able to do that. I have never even had anyone clean my house other than myself.

The one new item in - one old item out has been working for me. 

I think the wealthy, extremely indecisive,  and elderly would benefit from someones professional  help.

I was shocked when my Aunt (who moved from Pennsylvania to Florida) hired someone to go through and sell all her and my uncles belongings. Everything from clothes to furniture. She said they were moving to a warmer climate and wanted to  start fresh. It worked out great for them but when we visited their new home in Florida it looked like strangers lived there. It wasn't their personality or taste at all.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio,Did the good towels go from her house to your house?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

have helped 2 people with their clothing,

I am good at it

in fact going thru some stuff right now 

Regular Contributor

Yes, I have used a professional organizer, for an urgent project. Several years ago one of our sons was moving back to our community with his wife & three children. The sale for the home they were moving into fell through when the home didn't pass inspection. Their previous home had sold & they had to give possession within three weeks. They asked to move in with us for an undetermined period of time. They were going to be in three of our four bedrooms. We had lived in our house for 45 years & every closet & dresser/chest was in use.

I have a friend who has a downsizing business & she agreed to help us. We went through all the closets & dressers & cleared things out, so that we had room for our family to move in. It was a two day project & I worked with her & one of her employees non-stop, no time for chit chat. When we finished purging the stuff, she & her staff moved beds & furniture between the rooms so that they were ready for the family. They even made the beds!

The pros: we got a lot done in a short time, they provided most of the boxes & supplies for the project. They removed everything that went out. About three quarters of the things were either taken to consignment or donated. They made lists of the donations, took them to Good Will & got receipts for them. We also received a list of all the things that went to consigners. All that was left for me was to dust the hardwoods. The only con was that it was expensive. That being said, it was worth every cent.

The good news was the kids found another house & only stayed with us one weekend. We still have some empty drawers & closet space. Another bonus is I still get surprise checks for the very few consigned items that are left.

Now, even though we had a very good experience, I will try to do my own purging as we prepare to downsize. Mainly because of the cost. If I had physical limitations, I would definitely consider it.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio, If I knew I could make a business of of doing that I would...in my circle of friends they know me as the declutter, purge queen.

I did help my bff clean her kitchen a couple of years ago...needs done again but she has a busy schedule and I think when people are really busy stuff just colletcts.  Since I was young I was very good at cleaning out and organizing.  

This spring I will be helping another friend in her basement, and a friend who owns a business had me declutter his basement at the business, I was in declutter heaven!  

The person you are helping has to be serious about getting rid of stuff or it will be a battle.

Honored Contributor

No.

Respected Contributor

I think there are two kinds of people - some can get rid of things honestly and easily.  Others have a harder time for whatever reason.  

Having a professional assist them might make it easier...

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Mominohio,Did the good towels go from her house to your house?

No to the vet. They use them for the animals in the hospital

Honored Contributor

yes, i have helped my mom declutter and let her know what things i think she should get rid of......even my daughters have advised her a few times.

stored furniture no one wants, old greeting cards from many years ago, old photographs that have people in them that no one knows, broken appliances, cords, old magazines, tools no one will use anymore, mismatched untensils, old cookbooks......the list could go on and on......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

I haven't used them but there are a lot of people in my community moving into independent / assisting situations.  They have this service they take into consideration what size apartment you bought into, take measurements of apartments (including cabinets/closets), etc.

Then they come to the persons home and help them decide what to keep, what will fit in new place, what they absolutely need to take from their big homes, etc.  

They then set up move date- they pack everything & move same day person is moving to complex - they unpack & set up entire new place, including making bed!

It's not cheap....but I'd love to have them if I ever need to relocate

because obviously I've already downsized & still had unused boxes in my attic!

although, after our community yard sale what isn't sold I'm going to donate it the rest to habitat for humanity.  I've been really conscious of buying anything since before Christmas & staying focused when I go in stores that have beautiful home decor😮😱

(it's not easy!!)