Honored Contributor

Would you ever do this? (purging related)

In our pursuit of purging, this time of year especially, I was wondering if anyone here has ever or would ever do this.

Bring in a friend or relative (or even a 'professional' organizer type person) and let them tell/suggest to you what to keep, and what to get rid of, then pretty much go with what they suggest.

Since my mom lives next door, she often asks me to come up and help her when she is in the mood/need to purge some area or category of stuff. 

In doing so, she not only wants my physical help, but help in choosing what to keep and what to move on. 

I guess there are people who do similar things on a professional basis and was wondering how many here, would actually allow someone that either they know or they  would hire, to come in to downsize and purge their home, and then actually follow through with and  accept most of what that person suggests, or chooses?

I don't think I'm at a place I could run with that. Maybe under other circumstances it would be an option, but I don't think I'm there right now.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you ever do this? (purging related)

No, not me— I don’t know how any one could possibly know what I would want to keep or not..having said that, I’m sure there are people in situations that may need that kind of help, who possibly just can’t make decisions on their own for whatever reasons.  The benefit would be great for them I would imagine.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

Not me.  But not everyone is comfortable with letting items go, or in making decisions.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

No.

When I moved to my current place, I had to seriously downsize.  I was overwhelmed.  So I  put myself on a 5 yr downsize plan.  I am currently in my 5th yr & ahead of schedule!

Some items that I threw out were older than dirt.  In the trash it went & I updated and/or upgraded those items.  The exceptions were outdated electronics which the Salvation Army gladly took off my hands.

My rule of thumb:  If I haven't seen, used or worn in a year, in the trash or Salvation Army box/bag it goes w/o looking back.

My personal opinion:  Professional organizers are for hoarders, disabled, lazy folks (me) and or older people who have no younger family members around.  That being said.....

The price of using a professional organizer is well worth it!  If I had to do over again, I will hire one as I am lazy by nature.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

No--I wouldn't want any type of help.  I don't have "collections" and I'm not a hoarder by any means.  I do have a lot of make-up/skincare items that I am trying or purge and organize right now.   I know of no one that could help me with that nor would I want the help.  Part of what I am doing is organizing for ease of using my products and also trying to either toss or finish-up some brands that are no longer favorites. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like "MOM" kind of wants some company - talk to - interact with at the moment - or does she really let you toss things in the bucket without objecting?

Respected Contributor

No, I really don't need that kind of help.

If it ever got to the point where a professional would need to be called in, I would seriously consider how much I am either overbuying or just not getting rid of.

I'm pretty good about getting rid of things.  If I question whether I should keep it, I set it aside and come back to it.  

I wouldn't want someone to come in and arbitrarily decide for me what I should keep or what I shouldn't keep.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Sounds like "MOM" kind of wants some company - talk to - interact with at the moment - or does she really let you toss things in the bucket without objecting?

I see mom every day, and yes, she does like the company. lol

But yes, she does often take my advice on what to do with things. Not every single time, and I never insist, just make suggestions, and show her things in ways I don't think she looked at them. For instance, she will tend to not consider all of a given item she has, and will want to keep things, because she hasn't looked at the bigger picture. 

For example, just recently she knew she needed to clean out and get rid of some sheets and towels. We had done it a couple of years ago, and all she wanted to discard were the ones that were really in bad condition (and she did that quite easily). But saving all the good ones was still leaving her with too many to use, too many to store in the space she has, and continuing to be frustrated with her crowded storage spaces.

So when she'd had enough of the lack of space/crowding of her space, she asked how to choose what to keep and what to let go of, as all were in good condition.

We went over them and got 'real' about what she used in the sheets. She has come to love the polar fleece sheets, and has had nothing else on the bed for several years now. So even those beautiful cotton sheets needed to go. She has admitted over and over again, over several years, that she wants to use nothing else on her bed again...ever. OK so let's move the others on.

Approached the towels the same. Many were still very nice, but I suggested and she decided to keep things that are in complete sets, as that makes her happier to see in the closet than a bunch of mixed matched things. Also helped that taking them to the vet to help sick animals was really something she felt good about doing with her odd ones.

Honored Contributor

No, I am not a hoarder or even close to being one. I do think for people who find it really difficult to get rid of things and have an overabundance of stuff may need a professional to help them get rid. Some people also have a much harder time getting rid of things than others do. So they may need a little "Push"...... .       

Trusted Contributor

Nope, not me.