Honored Contributor

Re: Would you ever do this? (purging related)

I only got into your 2nd paragraph...no, I don't have so much, that I can't figure out what I want to keep, need to keep, or can pitch. JMHO

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes I have found that people that can't make a decision might need this push to get them going.

More than 5 years ago, I offered my BFF help with this problem (she keeps so much stuff). I'm a good purger and the complete opposite of her.

She has had this stuff for years and years. She was almost ready and backed out. She just can't make a decision or throw stuff out.

Honored Contributor

Paper clutter has always been my downfall, and I have considered getting help to set up an efficient filing system but never follow through.

Honored Contributor

No. However, I'm a natural purger. Others in my household, however......

Honored Contributor

Absolutley, I would!!! I am pretty ruthless when it comes to getting rid of stuff--not very sentimental either. I would love for  pro to help me figure out what to sell or just give away. Not sure if any donations will be allowed when this new tax thing kicks in this year, however. I have some depression glass and antique tea cups and quilts that are just gathering dust--would love a 2nd opinion.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

In our pursuit of purging, this time of year especially, I was wondering if anyone here has ever or would ever do this.

Bring in a friend or relative (or even a 'professional' organizer type person) and let them tell/suggest to you what to keep, and what to get rid of, then pretty much go with what they suggest.

Since my mom lives next door, she often asks me to come up and help her when she is in the mood/need to purge some area or category of stuff. 

In doing so, she not only wants my physical help, but help in choosing what to keep and what to move on. 

I guess there are people who do similar things on a professional basis and was wondering how many here, would actually allow someone that either they know or they  would hire, to come in to downsize and purge their home, and then actually follow through with and  accept most of what that person suggests, or chooses?

I don't think I'm at a place I could run with that. Maybe under other circumstances it would be an option, but I don't think I'm there right now.

@Mominohio  No.

Respected Contributor

No. I would ask my daughter for help if I wanted it. She is so organized it is not even funny. Hmmm... I guess she got that from me... I have no idea what happened to me along the way... hahaha... nothing like I used to be for sure! (Trying though..,)

I am not big of what other people think,  so I seriously do not need someone I do not even know and have to pay to tell me what to do with my stuff. People are funny about their stuff. I seriously would not care what a professional organizer thinks... and, really what is a professional organizer?, I have never heard of an organizer school. A easy and good way to make money I suppose... there is always someone willing to pay for something that they can easily do themselves with a little time and effort. No rush anyhow, it is all already there, take the  time and just go thru it little by little, it will eventually all get done. Even set a goal date if you wish... kinda like “I can do it, I can do it”. 

-Texas Hill Country-