Occasional Contributor

Re: Would you consider getting a chair lift?

I am disabled, live alone, and have been in my home for 45 years. Beginning in 2012, after several hospitalizations, I had to crawl up my steps in my split entry home. Fast forward to January 2018, I had two serious falls and in order to stay in my home, had a custom stairlift installed. Due to needing it to accommodate a curve between two levels the cost of mine was $10,400. It is worth every penny to me. The brand of mine is Bruno. If it weren't for my stairlift, I would have had to sell my home and move into assisted living or purchase a home at a considerably high price.

Esteemed Contributor

I just want to compliment the posters who respond to OP with great information and support in such a positive manner. Some really great people on these boards.  Wishing everyone a wonderful Holiday season and enjoy your traditions as best we can. Heart

Respected Contributor

My parents had one and it worked out very well. It is slow if you don't really "need" it.

Frequent Contributor

We  have a chair lift and I totaly recommend them.  My husband  uses it alot.

Respected Contributor

They cost alot.  My Dad had one over 20 years ago, and it was well over $5000.  But if  you can afford it, and want to stay in your own home, it is well worth it.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

My friend has one. She loves hers. She lives in a ranch with a walk out lower level. She uses it to get from the lower level basement garage area to the living area on the ground floor. She originally got it when she was recuperating from foot surgery, but she’s older now & struggling with stairs. It’s allowed her to stay in her home. 

Respected Contributor

In order to stay in our home yes we would. Actually I have a knee that is beginning to bother me.

Super Contributor

My parents had a 2 story condo with a basement.  They had stairglides installed on both sets of stairs. What a lifesaver!

Sometime they would walk the steps, but mostly used the chair. 

It was great if they rode the stairglide, and then sent it back to me so I could load it up with laundry, etc. I would then send it back to them. It saved many steps, and was safer for them.

Would I recommend them? You bet! They were economical in the sense that it prevented falls and hospitalizations. It gave them independence and safety. It gave me peace of mind.

Respected Contributor

Great support and help to the OP - so nice to read!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Due to back and leg issues my mother-in-law had to get one about 10 years ago. 

Fast-forward to now, they have to sell the 2 story condo and are going into an assisted living apartment and no one wants the chair, not for free, not to buy.  The places we have called for her only want to charge to uninstall it and then leave it sitting in the living room for her to dispose of.

And it's very sloooow.