Frequent Contributor

Would you consider getting a chair lift?

I've been wanting to look into getting a chair lift, instead of selling our house and getting a 1 story.

Does anyone have one? Do they work good? How much do they cost? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you consider getting a chair lift?

@2Kittys   Sounds like a good idea if you like where you live!  I hope you get positive information.

Honored Contributor

My parents have one and it works out very well.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I rent a townhouse with a narrow set of stairs. I did get permission to install a stairlift when I moved in six years ago. (Yes, around here we interchange "chairlift" and "stairlift," with stairlift being more popular.)  I had to get a smaller stairlift, a Bruno, to fit into the space.  I use it now about 90% of the time.  A key for me is maintaining the stairlift. The original stairlift at the time (2014) cost $1680. I could have rented the stairlift, but in 2.5 years, I would have covered the same amount needed to buy it outright. It took a few quick visits by the medical store from which I purchased it to set the chair properly for the uneven steps.  I have had it serviced routinely about once a year. I needed an electrical outlet to be installed at the top of the stairs, and I needed a new battery around year four. Right now, my lift has been a bit cranky when I hit the toggle switch to go up and down the stairs. ( Currently the wiring within the arms of the chair is being replaced. I was given a replacement chair to" ride the rails" until the electrical part is replaced.) This issue will cost about $500.

With the lift I was able to rent a place where I wanted/ needed to be ( to care for dad with a stroke and now mom who is legally blind).  I am able to bring items up and down the stairs without difficulty. If my stairs were wider, stairs would not really be blocked much at all.
   My biggest problem has been that the medical store from which I bought the stairlift went out of business.  Closest repair place is 70 miles away. However, the man who sold me the chair and oversaw its installation, now services what he sold to several of us in my area.

If you can, try several chairs to determine which is comfortable.  Also make sure that when you make the decision that you have potential supplier come to your home to determine that what you want will fit the landing at top and bottom of stairs.  The measurement and installation do not take long. I had lived on one floor, but my family's situation required that I move.  I am happy with what I have. Like a car, though, it needs routine maintenance and sometimes some slighter bigger repairs. But don't let that scare you if you want to stay in your home. Like bars in the shower or higher toilets, there are devices for those of us who want to stay in our homes or move to various locations. Good luck to you.

Frequent Contributor

I’m mostly without feeling on my right side due to a stroke and our stairlift has allowed us to stay in our home. It works really well. We have a simple model and my husband was able to install it without any help. It is worth every penny if you want to stay in your home.

Respected Contributor

My Mom lived alone in a townhouse when she was 93.  She was finally having trouble climbing the stairs to the second floor.  She had an Acorn stairlift installed and it was a godsend.  It allowed her to stay home until she was 97.  I don't remember the prices she was quoted at that time.  She ended up having to get the lift with two bends because of the design of her stairwell.  It was considerably more expensive than the simple straight lift but it was worth every penny.  It was a great quality unit.  No issues at all.  She only ever had to have the yearly "check up" that was recommended.

Staying in her home was very important to my Mom.  Sounds like you feel the same.  I hope that you seriously consider getting a chair lift so you can stay in your current home.  I think you will be very happy once the lift is installed.  

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We got one in August of this year.  My husband has some health issues and it was difficult for him going up and down the stairs.  We have a split entry house.  We had already arranged to have it installed then my husband broke his pelvis and shoulder.  It's been invaluable for him.  It wasn't cheap - because of how are stairs are configured - split - we had to get two stair lifts.  Some splits though can accomodate a curved stair lift - just depends on the house/entry.   I even use it occasionally.  And I've used it instead of carrying things up and down the stairs.  Like a dumb waiter lol.  The company we got it from - 101 Mobility - even has a buy-back program.  So if you no longer need it or are selling your house you can sell it back to them. At a pro-reated amount of course.  It's been very handy though - I recommend one highly.  And especially if you love your house and would rather not move.

We paid close to $7K but more expensive because we got two of them.

This company has a great warranty too by the way.  They service it free for the first year.  After that at a cost.  

Respected Contributor

@2Kittys wrote:

I've been wanting to look into getting a chair lift, instead of selling our house and getting a 1 story.

Does anyone have one? Do they work good? How much do they cost? Thanks.

I've had one about 5 years, it has been my helper, getting to my basement, for washing, showers,car. I couldn't live without it. My son bought it for me, but I think it was around $3000. I'm sure there are different prices. 

Honored Contributor

They're great if you "need" them. My parents knew an older couple in a neighboring town who got one when they didn't really "need" it and found the lift too slow for them and still climbed the stairs instead of using the lift. Well, they did use the lift to move stuff up and down the stairs, but that's all they used it for. If you "need" one get one. If you just think it'll be more convenient, you might want to rethink it. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

After my father passed and my Mom sold the house, a ranch, she rented an old house that had a chair lift in it.  When visiting, I can see how much easier it was for her.  And safer.  Faster forward a couple of years, and she lives with my sister.  Her house has stairs.  I've said for years to both of them that a chair lift was needed.  It's not until recently that my Mom got one.  They are not very forth coming when it comes to information like that.  But I'm glad she finally got it.  I looked into them and they seem to start around $5000.