Trusted Contributor

Re: Would you buy a house if

I lived in my house for over 20 years and do not plan on buying another one.  But I do make sure whenever I have purchased vehicles in the past I test drive them to the house to make sure they fit in the garage.  

(I do warn the salesman that we are going home and pulling into the garage and closing the door)  Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Maybe they never even thought of it.

Our house was built in 1964.  Our cars fit, but it is tight.  I never thought of the size of the garage until we moved in. 

For an older home YES I could see that as a problem as the sizes of cars changed a lot over time.  

These are all newer homes (6-8 years old) with 2+ car garages.

Super Contributor

I did.  My car fits in the garage but not our pick up truck.  It's too tall.  I don't mind except when it snows a ton and I have to scrape the windows.  

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

all of our cars do not fit into our two car garage.

it would not be a dealbreaker for me as long as i had a nice driveway.

Smiley Happy

Follow-up question, Do you live where you get ice and snow?

If we lived in an area with more mild temps and I could park in a driveway then it may not be a deal-breaker,  but why pay for 2-3 car garage that I can not use...?  

I have to think about this some more.......

Respected Contributor

It would be a deal breaker for me. We added four feet onto the last two homes we built. 

Respected Contributor

@CoffeeNut   Smart!

Valued Contributor

I can't imagine buying a house with a garage that doens't fit  your car or SUV's.  Definitelly a deal-breaker if we lived where it snows.  It doesn't where we live and we never put our vehicles in the garage.  That's where all the junk goes!

Esteemed Contributor

When we were looking at homes, my husband carried a tape measure to make sure he could pull his pick up in and be able to shut the door.  We didn't even look at the home until we knew this first.  

Yes, a deal breaker.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

all of our cars do not fit into our two car garage.

it would not be a dealbreaker for me as long as i had a nice driveway.

Smiley Happy

Follow-up question, Do you live where you get ice and snow?

If we lived in an area with more mild temps and I could park in a driveway then it may not be a deal-breaker,  but why pay for 2-3 car garage that I can not use...?  

I have to think about this some more.......

yes, in the baltimore area where it is currently snowing actually.

our home was built in 1965 and it is a well built, large rancher (and these days they are difficult to find.) we have a two car garage that currently has two cars in it, but our family owns 4 cars at the moment. at least two HAVE to be on the driveway OR on our street.

i could expand the garage OR build a carport for coverage on the driveway, but this has really NOT been an issue for us at all. at one point i was actually considering turning the garage into an additional room that would be attached to our kitchen.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I live in a 70+ year old house and I don't have a garage!