Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  Sounds like a really nice redo. Hoping you and Eddy enjoy the new bathroom and shower. Smiley Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

Many if you are real followers of decorating trends and ideas.  I am thinking of replacing flooring with wood or wood-look vinyl.  I don't want real dark woods that I know for sure.  I guess I don't want to be outdated  before I start.

@Twins Mom The current "in" thing is the next thing "out."  Especially for flooring, unless you are made of money, stick with a more classic look.

Nothing dates you worse than what's trendy now. But if you are a lover of fads you probably won't be happy with classics to begin with.  It's never easy!  Woman Very HappyWoman Wink

Honored Contributor

I agree totally, if you want a classic look, that won't date a floor (which is a big expense to install),  that you avoid short-lived trends.  An example of that would be sliding barn doors, which had a frenzy for awhile, but for most houses, was not an appropriate look.  (Of course, if anyone absolutely loves any given trend, and doesn't care about staying classic, then they should go with what they love.  Life is short!)

@Twins Mom,   from what I've gathered over time, wood or 'wood-look' floors in the medium tones (neither very light nor very dark), that have a slight 'brown' undertone (as opposed to more fleeting 'red', or 'silvery' looks, which come and go, for example), are considered the most classic over time, and least likely to look faddish.   But again, it depends on what one wants!

Super Contributor

We are in the process of having hardwood floors installed throughout our entire house.  I would highly recommend that you bring pictures of what you want your floors to look like when you go to the flooring center and let the experts there help you choose the best product for your needs.  Sounds obvious, but I neglected to do this.  Instead, I simply saw a small portion of flooring installed at the retailer I used, and assumed I would like it all over the house.  A small six foot section does not translate to an entire house.  I learned this the hard way.

We chose engineered hickory, and, although I wanted a variegated a look, I was not prepared for just how variegated it would be.  As a result, we essentially picked out the boards we wanted, while discarding others.  This meant that we had to order more flooring, adding much more to the already expensive price tag.  In addition, we've had to wait to get the job finished.  They began the work at the end of April, and will not complete the project until the last week of July.  

in the end, we will get the floor we wanted.  They really are beautiful floors, but it was an expensive lesson, and we probably could have saved a lot of aggravation if we had selected a different, but similar, flooring option.

ABC2DB9B-2CD4-4A80-82F0-4C6C9DBEF1F8.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@ZoetheCat 

What you are experiencing us exact what I can envision.  The samples look one way but when I turn over for a picture I see something e!se.  This is a major decusion. Good luck with your results.

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat Hickory is notorious for being all over the place in color.  Even cabinet doors can turn out looking striped because of the color/tone variations in the wood itself and how it takes color.  Some people love this, others don't.  Unfortunately, salespeople don't always explain the nature of hickory to their customers, and many end up quite surprised (and/or disappointed) in the outcome. 

Valued Contributor
REAL true SOLID natural hardwood floors are (in my opinion) a category that has withstood the test of time for centuries, literally! What's great about true hardwood is that it's possible to change the color/stain if in 10-20 years from now you decide to do that. Or some like the natural patina that develops over time.

Unfortunately in today's prices it's astronomical in cost to put in true thick hardwood floors, but there are a lot of choices in faux or look a like wood floors nowadays that are more affordable. This "newer" material, depending on color scheme, etc. is what could be trendy or timeless or just a fad.

I have real true vintage original hardwood in a good bit of my home that I had re-stained & re-finished. The basement, 2 rooms that sit on a concrete base, bathrooms & the kitchen are other types of flooring. My #1 preference is my hardwood floors, although like and have used luxury waterproof vinyl in other rooms I've remodeled that didn't have hardwood to begin with. And I see the benefits for kitchens & bathrooms to have waterproof flooring or tiles. My hardwood would get ruined, stained or warped if in those rooms!!
Super Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

@ZoetheCat 

What you are experiencing us exact what I can envision.  The samples look one way but when I turn over for a picture I see something e!se.  This is a major decusion. Good luck with your results.

Exactly @Twins Mom .  I wish I had pulled pictures of exactly the look I was going for and asked for a good match.  The picture I posted is of the hickory floors they have already installed and, because we selected only the boards we wanted, we are quite happy with it.  However, had they installed in their usual manner, I most definitely would have been disappointed.  As I said, we will end up with the look we wanted, but it's been a very expensive and stressful lesson to be sure.

Super Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@ZoetheCat Hickory is notorious for being all over the place in color.  Even cabinet doors can turn out looking striped because of the color/tone variations in the wood itself and how it takes color.  Some people love this, others don't.  Unfortunately, salespeople don't always explain the nature of hickory to their customers, and many end up quite surprised (and/or disappointed) in the outcome. 

@faeriemoon .  You are right about hickory being all over the place.  In all honesty, after we had selected the flooring (and paid a hefty deposit), I started looking at pictures of hickory online and was getting a bit nervous about it.  I was just so enamored with the  sample I saw in the showroom, I didn't follow my instinct.  In hindsight, I should have made a change at that point even if it involved a restocking fee.  

It truly is a "first world" problem as they say.  In the end it will all work out.