Honored Contributor

Because we have no neighbors, we have no need to cover our windows. When the sun is very bright we have shutters.

Honored Contributor

I love natural sun light... In our new home we have a lot of windows and get a lot of light, however when we are at work all day we dont open all of our blinds, until we get home..

On the weekends we open them all, but sometimes it is just too sunny to have them all opened...When we are at work, we don;t have all of them open because we aren't at home.

My husband doesn't like having everything opened up, as he said all of the sunlight fades your rugs and furniture afer time....

I think it is all an individual's choice, based on their comfort level and their own home and what they like!

Honored Contributor

You're miffed because your neighbors keep their windows covered during the day?  

That's not really any of your business.

Esteemed Contributor

Not something to be miffed about, just MYOB.

I keep one bedroom side curtained due to sun.  Not anything anyone has ever noted.

Regular Contributor

I have blinds & curtains. I open blinds every a.m. and only close those blinds in occupied bedrooms and living room in the evening UNLESS it's summer and the AC is on in which case I do not open blinds. But I was wondering -- I seem to be the only person on my block (or at least among the 8 houses I can see from my windows) that ever cleans their windows both inside & out. I do this in spring and fall. I wonder if my neighbors know there is life outside of their four walls because the dirt on the windows prohibits them from seeing!

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain  I live in a high rise condo where privacy is not really an issue but I do close my shades when the sun is shining in and/or it's hot or cold outside.  They do help with temperature within the apartment.  When we leave I also close all the shades.  

Don't know why you would be "miffed."  I wonder what your neighbors think of YOU who have no window coverings.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Windows During The Day

[ Edited ]

I leave the wood blinds closed in the front of the house because I'm home alone most weekdays and will not answer the door if someone knocks or rings the bell. My neighbors know to call or text me they are coming over, so do my kids. The front of the house faces north, so we don't get much sun, except in the morning and late afternoon in the summer. I do open the blinds in the back of the house, but if it gets too bright, I do shut them too. We have extended eaves and the south and west sides have a covered areas over deck, so the furniture in public rooms is not subject to sun damage.

How my neighbors handle their windows seems to depend on which side of the street the front of their house faces. The houses where the front rooms get a southern exposure tend to have their windows covered, w/ sheers, curtains or blinds when the sun is out. My nearest neighbors and I have actually discussed our window coverings and have been inside each other's houses.

For the most part, whether the windows are open or covered come down to sun and security protection or some combination.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I thought I was doing a pretty good job of spying on the neighbors, but I am not I guess!

I have no idea what they do with their blinds (mostly shutters) or if their windows are clean. I am falling woefully behind!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I cannot imagine being worried about my neighbors window coverings.  

If you are able to do as you wish in your own home, why does it matter what others do?

I'm not worried and it doesn't matter to me. I just notice and, when an answer is available, I want it. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain Gotta say, that's hilarious that you are "miffed" about what your neighbors do or don't do with their windows.

I wish that was my biggest worry. Maybe you need a hobby. Or just myob.