Respected Contributor

In my opinion, the more windows and natural light, the better.  All my shades go up when I wake, and down with the sun.  the exception would be when I leave for work on a hot/warm day, I will close the shades.  I've noticed many neighbors keep their shades drawn all the time and find it curious.  I just like to see outside, and like the natural light to come in.  But, to each their own.  If someone doesn't open their windows, I don't take it personally. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@occasionalrain Would you still be miffed if they came over and told you to shut your danged blinds?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Woman Very Happy

They're non confrontational. They would just leave an anonymous  note on my door under cover of darkness. I wouldn't be miffed, I'd just assume jealousy.

@occasionalrain Well, I will say that surprised me.  Don't know why they would be jealous of the state of your window coverings. . . but to each their own.  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat 

I have bird feeders and a cat; we both enjoy watching the birds, perhaps for different reasons. One time my husband and I got home way past midnight and slept in quite late. By 10 AM, when my windows were still covered, my neighbor came over rang the doorbell and knocked loudly on the door. I thanked her, it was reassuring and I was grateful for her care.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@occasionalrain Would you still be miffed if they came over and told you to shut your danged blinds?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Woman Very Happy

They're non confrontational. They would just leave an anonymous  note on my door under cover of darkness. I wouldn't be miffed, I'd just assume jealousy.

@occasionalrain Well, I will say that surprised me.  Don't know why they would be jealous of the state of your window coverings. . . but to each their own.  Woman Frustrated

It's not the windows, it's my beautiful blue eyed cat they can see lounging on his ledge inside.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

WHY would they be jealous? If they wanted to do what you do, they could easily do so. But they aren't likely to be leaving you notes because I think most people don't care what their neighbors are doing with their own windows.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain  Did it ever occur to you your neighbours only open their blinds/shades when you're gone?

Here's 4 main reasons why I open or close any particular window coverings:

1. Neighbour on one side is a nosy, gossipy spy. Even her husband told me she spys and talks about everyone.

I never open any window coverings on her side unless she's at work.

With the family before them I was comfortable opening up that side of the house.

2. During heating season, on sunny days I want the greenhouse effect. Of course in summer I block the greenhouse effect.

3. After a FedEx delivery person commented on something he noticed (inside my dining room) while passing the windows, I learned to keep the curtains shut on delivery mornings.

4. Some days I want to see what's going on in my backyard.

Some days I don't want to see what's going on in the neighbour's backyard.

Honored Contributor

@Qgirl26 

It was just a bit of banter between me and Sooner, not meant to be taken seriously. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Windows During The Day

[ Edited ]

As @Desertdi said "if you live in a HOT climate..."

I have 2 large sliding glass doors that face west with balcony openings. One has blinds (living room) and one has blackout drapes (bedroom). I open them in the morning but by mid-day, I need to draw the blinds and angle them to half closed. The light is so bright in my condo here in south Florida, my eyes hurt. I really don't want to wear sun glasses in the house. This is despite 400' trees shading my balcony. It doesn't hurt to help keep the A/C cost down either. They don't call Florida the Sunshine State for nothing!

Honored Contributor

Since anyone driving by can easily see into my house, all of my windows have some type of fabric window treatment.  

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's not the windows, it's my beautiful blue eyed cat they can see lounging on his ledge inside.

Okay, no one hate on me, but I'm not generally a cat person. BUT ... there really is something about a blue eyed cat or cats w/ emerald green eyes that I find very enchanting. But same goes for dogs that have light colored eyes. Alas, all of our dogs had brown eyes and I loved them dearly. IMO there is just something special about blue and/or green eyes. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."