Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Mominohio  i couldn't disagree with you more about cleaning shutters. My sweeper has a dusting attachment and my housekeeper uses it every 2 weeks to dust the shutters inside and out. Only takes a few seconds and they stay nice and clean. They are white - they would show any dirt buildup - there is none. However, my housekeeper tells me that some places she cleans that have shutters  are more difficult to keep clean. She thinks it is because the static that gets on some of the materials they are made from causes them to attract dirt & dust. Ours are made from the same resin they make football helmets from.I specifically chose this material because they guaranteed they would never turn yellow from the sun and they would last at least 25 years, because the material is so durable. I am 100% pleased with them for looks, function and that after 8 years they still look brand new.

@151949

My shutters were painted wood, and in a bathroom. I'm sure the location, materials from which they are made, and the lifestyle of the inhabitants will effect how difficult they are to keep clean. 

Regardless of how clean we are, there is, over time, going to be a build up of grease, dirt, dust, etc, that will require being cleaned with a liquid solution (even just water on a cloth) to remove those things. Dusting/vacuuming is not going to keep them truly clean over the course of their lifetime. Mine had what seemed to be a lot of 'nooks and crannies' that would trap the dust and dirt.

I used to deep clean mine a couple of times a year, and for just the one room, it wasn't terrible, but I'd hate to think of the time that would take to have them all over the whole house. 

I love the look of them, but hesitate to take the plunge for the reasons I listed in the last post, but mostly for the cleaning.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio For the reasons you mentioned I wouldn't want them in a kitchen. Fortunately, I don't have any windows in my kitchen. And , as I already said, mine are perfectly clean with just simple dusting with the sweeper. Believe me - if they needed deeper cleaning I'd tell the housekeeper to do it - but there is nothing there to clean.

Respected Contributor

I'm in need of window treatments for the main floor of our house.  I have 7 large (5 foot in height) and 3 kitchen windows to do.  I live in the Southeast and the sun is just too much coming into the home.  They are slightly tinted but it doesn't help that much.  We moved in 2 years ago, the previous owners have custom made curtains and drapes which are dark and heavy that are not my taste/style.  I'd really like to get motorized shades that also has the ability to filter the light and keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.  But first we need to paint the entire downstairs.

Contributor

I have been considering plantation shutters as my window treatments for a while.  Because of the cost I have been reluctant.  My question is:  I have a 2-story brick colonial with 9 total windows in the front of the home.  Four of the windows are on the main floor (2 windows in living room and 2 in dining room).  If I were to choose shutters would I have to purchase them for all 9 windows?  Can I get away with only having the shutters on the first floor or will that look terrible when viewing my home from the street?  The reason I wouldn't want the shutters upstairs is that I prefer to open my bedroom windows at night.  Can you open your windows with plantation shutters or is that an even bigger nuisance since the shutters could get even dirtier?  TIA

Honored Contributor

@DelaRose wrote:

I have been considering plantation shutters as my window treatments for a while.  Because of the cost I have been reluctant.  My question is:  I have a 2-story brick colonial with 9 total windows in the front of the home.  Four of the windows are on the main floor (2 windows in living room and 2 in dining room).  If I were to choose shutters would I have to purchase them for all 9 windows?  Can I get away with only having the shutters on the first floor or will that look terrible when viewing my home from the street?  The reason I wouldn't want the shutters upstairs is that I prefer to open my bedroom windows at night.  Can you open your windows with plantation shutters or is that an even bigger nuisance since the shutters could get even dirtier?  TIA

@DelaRose

I think you ask a good question, about the look from the outside of your home, should you only do one floor with the shutters. 

You have my favorite style of home, and I would think that having matching window treatments at least across all levels that face the front of the home might be important to a clean and cohesive look, but not at all mandatory. 

And as someone who has never lived with air conditioning, and having windows open all spring/summer/fall, there is a ton of dirt and pollen that comes through the screens, and would definitely make cleaning plantation shutters quite a chore, if you live in an area that has a lot of pollen and dust. 

I clean my screens and window sills weekly, and I'm amazed at the crud I get each week, and all through the year. 

That is probably why the one set of plantation shutters I did have was always in need of a deeper cleaning. The pollen and road dust for me with the window open 24/7 for much of the year, was much different than those that live with a more closed up house and air conditioning.

Contributor

@Mominohio  I thought that with the view from the outside of the home would make a difference that is why I've been reluctant.  When we first purchased the home 22 years ago, my mother suggested that I have the same drapes in the dining room as the living room since both rooms are in front of the home and are only separated by an open hallway and you can view either room when sitting in the other.  I have remembered that advice every since and have always tried to coordinate.  I understand that styles come and go, but a lot depends on the build of your home and what looks best.   Thank you for you comment.

Honored Contributor

@DelaRose wrote:

You just open the shutters and open/close the window same as before they were there.We open our windows at night a lot in the winter which is when the temps are mild here.The shutters don't make any difference.

Honored Contributor

@DelaRose wrote:

@Mominohio  I thought that with the view from the outside of the home would make a difference that is why I've been reluctant.  When we first purchased the home 22 years ago, my mother suggested that I have the same drapes in the dining room as the living room since both rooms are in front of the home and are only separated by an open hallway and you can view either room when sitting in the other.  I have remembered that advice every since and have always tried to coordinate.  I understand that styles come and go, but a lot depends on the build of your home and what looks best.   Thank you for you comment.

My living and dining rooms are easily viewed from each other, and I too, have the same window treatments in both rooms (as well as a matching valance over the only kitchen window) for that coordinated look as well, Your mother has good insight and gives good advice!

@DelaRose

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

What is trending right now for window treatments? I have plantation shutters on all my windows and those will always be stylish here in Florida. I thought that shades instead of curtains were "in" but I have some FB decorators I follow and they seem to all be using curtains again.Not drapes - but curtains. I do sorta miss having curtains in pretty fabrics but for sun control and privacy I wouldn't give up my shutters.

Clearly I have no intention of giving up my shutters - but I guess people on this board don't actually read the whole post. I brought this up as simply what I thought would be an interesting subject for discussion. 

Here in Florida seeing curtains on a window is a rare occurance, because the sun does ruin them very quickly.We have lived here 8 years now and I only know one person who has curtains.

On sliding glass doors they are now making honeycomb blinds that close from one side to the other.That seems to be the most popular choice where I live.They are expensive though. Expect to pay around $1000 for an average size door but if you have the style of door that covers an entire 12 ft wall as I do - I believe ours was $1400 and that was 8 years ago. The nicest thing about it is that it came with very pretty wood framing that looks almost like the door was made with very intricate wood framing. If we had it to do over, we would not have bought any cover for the sliders because it faces out over the lake so there is no need for privacy back there and we rarely ever close it.

@151949  Oh you can stop guessing (re: your OP above).  Clearly we don't read every word and even if we do we start to talk amongst ourselves!  Just go with the flow of the conversations.  It's easier that way.

Respected Contributor

Window treatments are most often influenced by one's budget.