Esteemed Contributor

Re: Will these pictures attract buyers

The nice thing about our house is somebody isn't going to look at it and see a bunch of projects. The wall color and carpet was kept neutral for a reason. Anything thing will go with that color. The shower curtain is going with us. My mom is going to pack it away and use it in the basement bathroom if we ever get to finishing it. 

My dad is getting pictures of the outside in a few minutes. If there are any I can share without showing the house I will.

Honored Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

Hi Ccassaday, just some suggestions looking at your photos. as others have said, flip the child's bedroom quilt to a solid color. put away all the toys, on the bed. No need to have a picture of an empty hallway, I would loose that photo. Remove all items from the shower and put them away. Remove most of the towels on the rack. A bath towel and maybe a hand towel draped over the bath towel is all you need. Can you take a better angle of the bedrooms? The light in the bedroom is showing off the wall color to be different colors and is on the bright side. The other photo of the bedroom doesn't really show it off to its' best advantage. Just some of my thoughts on the photos.

@ccassaday: I agree with all the ideas @Rockycoast mentioned. One other thing: I would draw open the shower curtains, to show the full size of the bathroom-- just don't have any toiletries showing. Good luck!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm puzzled by the question about whether the original poster has listed with a known real estate agency, and then the reply simply stating "realtor dot com".

As a  real estate broker (who will finally let my license expire next year after many years in the R.E. biz and moving to another state), I can tell you that Realtor dot com is neither an agency nor a website owned or operated by anyone other than cooperatively by  Realtors across the country.

If a listing appears on that website, it will soon be available on websites operated not only by individual real estate companies which haven't even listed the property themselves, but also by internet companies such as Zillow and Trulia.

I am a little skeptical about hiring an agent who will rely on interior photos taken by the homeowner, but maybe that will work just fine---who are we to judge?

I also think the homeowner writing these posts is working far too hard.  Maybe better to let it go and leave it to the advice of an experienced and well-connected Realtor who doesn't need the opinion of hundreds/thousands of internet people to judge whether photos will sell a house.  

Just a suggestion.  Wish everyone the best when selling a home.  Sometimes it's easy.........sometimes not so.  Sometimes it gets more difficult when a relative is involved.  Hope not in this case.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 wrote:

I'm puzzled by the question about whether the original poster has listed with a known real estate agency, and then the reply simply stating "realtor dot com".

As a  real estate broker (who will finally let my license expire next year after many years in the R.E. biz and moving to another state), I can tell you that Realtor dot com is neither an agency nor a website owned or operated by anyone other than cooperatively by  Realtors across the country.

If a listing appears on that website, it will soon be available on websites operated not only by individual real estate companies which haven't even listed the property themselves, but also by internet companies such as Zillow and Trulia.

I am a little skeptical about hiring an agent who will rely on interior photos taken by the homeowner, but maybe that will work just fine---who are we to judge?

I also think the homeowner writing these posts is working far too hard.  Maybe better to let it go and leave it to the advice of an experienced and well-connected Realtor who doesn't need the opinion of hundreds/thousands of internet people to judge whether photos will sell a house.  

Just a suggestion.  Wish everyone the best when selling a home.  Sometimes it's easy.........sometimes not so.  Sometimes it gets more difficult when a relative is involved.  Hope not in this case.

My brother in law is our real estate agent. He mainly does appraisel snow but he will help friends and family sell their houses. Our pictures have turned out so good. If you have a good camera there is no reason the honeowoener can't take the pictures. He would normally take them but he said since we have a good camera we can take them ourselves.  If some of the photos I see online are taken by a real estate agent they need photography lessens. Our neighbor is a real estate agent. She has clients waiting to see the house. 

Funny story we have to retake one of them. When my dad took the picture of the front of the house our dog was in the window looking out. You can see her in the picture.😂😂

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Have to disagree with this paragraph.  I have been on a large buying and selling homes forum for close to 15 years.  Owners that are preparing their homes for sale regularly post photos of their homes for critique by others. They are asking people for their suggestions through the eyes of a potential buyer. That is a good thing. Realtors are also among the people giving advice.  Most take the pictures by themselves or have the RE agent do it.  Altho the RE agents don't do any better then the home owner in the majority of cases.  I also don't understand why the listing being able to be picked up by other internet companines is a bad thing. The more potential buyers that view the house the better, IMHO. Whether it be in person or on the web.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I neither said--nor meant to imply-- that  the publication of MLS  listings on other real estate companies'  websites  is a bad thing.   The more the merrier, not to mention the fact that it's standard procedure these days.  Where's the disagreement? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler
IMG_2855.JPGIMG_2856.JPGIMG_2858.JPG

What do you think of our back yard. I think people will love it. Looks so pretty.

Honored Contributor

I have a real estate license.

These are my suggestions,

it it would be to your advantage to take the photos of the rooms from further away.  Whomever took the pictures was standing in the room too far.  That makes the rooms look smaller.  Professional photographers who take RE photos take pics from the hall way looking into the room if possible,

Your rooms look very nice, clean and uncluttered.

Your backyard is very beautiful.  I would try to post pictures of it that did not have the overhead electric lines showing.  maybe from another angle?  Some people might shy away from looking at your home because of the electric lines.  If they didn't see them, they might come for a showing and fall in live in spite of the electric lines.

best of luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have a real estate license.

These are my suggestions,

it it would be to your advantage to take the photos of the rooms from further away.  Whomever took the pictures was standing in the room too far.  That makes the rooms look smaller.  Professional photographers who take RE photos take pics from the hall way looking into the room if possible,

Your rooms look very nice, clean and uncluttered.

Your backyard is very beautiful.  I would try to post pictures of it that did not have the overhead electric lines showing.  maybe from another angle?  Some people might shy away from looking at your home because of the electric lines.  If they didn't see them, they might come for a showing and fall in live in spite of the electric lines.

best of luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's hard not getting those electric lines.  We have a backyard pond. Used to have fish but we sold them preparing to sell. I hope that doesn't deter buyers. It could go either way. Some may love it and some may not look at the house because of it.  I told my mom she may not want to show or mention the pond. That way people see the house first and don't elimate it just from the photo or the suggestion of it. They are a pain in the butt to maintain if you keep fish in there.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Such a pretty back yard.  I live in Arizona. Out here those power lines are very scary for buyers. They severely affect property values as many people don't want to be near them. Not sure how I would decide if I really loved a house. I guess you'll find out when your house is listed. 

Does anyone know why my replies are underlined? I don't get it