Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why no top cabinets in kitchens ?

@AuntG wrote:

Not practical, for sure. If you want to show off your china, put some glass doors in the cabinets.

Not to hijack but I got pricing to do this on a couple of door fronts. Removing the recessed panel and replacing with either hammered glass or stained glass inserts. Not very costly.

Showing china without the bulk and floorspace of a hutch.

Not exactly HGTV approved 😉

Honored Contributor

I'm short, and my top cabinets are pretty much useless for me. I don't like climbing on a step ladder to get items, and always having to ask someone else. If I were starting over , I would have my things on lower shelves, I don't mind bending.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe that everyone has these super large kitchens that are featured in the designa and home shows. Yes, I would love a kitchen that size but not the cost of that home. 

I'm a big believer that no matter how much storage space you have in your kitchen that it is never enough even if you are stacking, storing efficiently. Kitchen items are big and awkward shapes.  

I cook all the time so those styles would not work for my needs. It's all about what works for your own needs. 

Respected Contributor

@froggy I am short, so I love my lower cabinets with pull-out drawers.  In fact, I wish they were finished drawers on the front rather than cabinet doors.  Everything you wrote in your post applies to my kitchen.  I have to get the step ladder out to reach anything but the bottom shelf of my upper cabinets.

I would never have open upper shelves because I couldn't reach them anyway, so what would be the point?

Honored Contributor

My son and DIL are building a home.  She is going for that look in the kitchen.  She will have plenty of storage available.  I’m keeping my lips zipped.  🤐🤐🤐

Honored Contributor

NO NO NO I don't want shelves in my kitchen for my dishes. I want them inside the cabinets so they stay clean.

A couple of nice sized pantries could take the place of upper cabinets since you cannot reach the top anyways.

I want lower drawers & pull out shelves.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am the opposite of you petite ladies. I'm tall and I like my tall kitchen cabinets. I can reach all but the very top shelf and those I can reach from a step stool.

Respected Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

@froggy I am short, so I love my lower cabinets with pull-out drawers.  In fact, I wish they were finished drawers on the front rather than cabinet doors.  Everything you wrote in your post applies to my kitchen.  I have to get the step ladder out to reach anything but the bottom shelf of my upper cabinets.

I would never have open upper shelves because I couldn't reach them anyway, so what would be the point?

@Marsha2003I do keep a little two step stepstool when I have to get things that are too high. In fact, about 4 months ago I was on the top step, thought I was on the bottom step, and stepped down into thin air. I went over like a tree being chopped down, landed on the point of my elbow and broke my collarbone. Ouch! Good thing I don't have to reach the top shelves all the time!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I agree with you about those white walls.  I love color.  When I sold my last house in California I had a painter come in and paint all the walls white after I moved out and before it was put up for sale.  

Honored Contributor

If I was building a new home, I would have a very large pantry with cabinets for my dishes, and shelves for appliances and food.   Under the countertops in my galley kitchen I would have custom made drawers, and absolutely no cabinets with doors.   

I had more pot size drawers added to my kitchen remodel several years ago, and did away with as many cabinet doors as possible.   

When I see those open shelves, I think about grease, as well as flies and bugs landing on them.   I hate flies in the house, but ultimately one gets in when someone goes in or out, and I’d hate to look up and see a fly on the dishes.